Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Lessons - enough already!

petecarlton

12 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

While we're talking about YT bass educators, what do you make of Adam Neely?

I've only watched a couple of his videos. Neither were about bass playing.

They were interesting, but most of the music theory went over my head.

Edited by ahpook
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I've only watched a couple of his videos. Neither were about bass playing.

They were interesting, but most of the music theory went over my head.

I think Adam is great. Very learned. Interesting perspectives.. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, visog said:

I think Adam is great. Very learned. Interesting perspectives.. 

Speaking as an elderly white man, I'm fascinated by his current take on music's domination by the conventions of old white men - just refreshing to have such a well thought through challenge to the perceptions we take for granted.

Probably doesn't improve my bass playing, but it sure as hell improves my approach  to the music I love to listen to.

• Like 2

I think he’s an unbelievable player, he’s fantastic at what he does and I love that he’s obviously hugely successful.

I’m full of admiration for him.

The “oh, and one more thing I forgot...” type e-mails nark me a bit. And I get plenty.

It’s very much the nature of the beast - he’s an online marketeer. It doesn’t work on me...but I get that it’s how his operation works.

He’s sort of become the latter day Clarkson era Top Gear of online bass tuition. It’s for the masses and people buy into it big time - he’s successful and people grow to resent the ubiquitousness of it all. Others adore it.

“Like sh*t in a field” As my grandad used to say.

More power to him. Wish I’d thought of it first - as well as Wishing I’d learned to be more theoretically minded rather than my “hit it and see what comes out” method of playing.

I signed up for a free trial and didn’t look at it - I think it was for a competition entry.

I reckon he’s probably a really sound bloke, and I bet I’d find his website useful. But I’m not drawn to it.

He doesn’t offend me, and I should just block his spam. 

He’s good at what he does, a very slick operator.

Not for me though.

• Like 2

I really like Scott and I've learned a lot from just his free vids over the years for which I'm thankful. I don't mind him popping up everywhere I go online - it does remind me to get my derrière "in the shed" more often instead of just looking at gear to buy that I don't need! I'll probably sign up for the academy eventually.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think he’s an unbelievable player, he’s fantastic at what he does and I love that he’s obviously hugely successful.

I’m full of admiration for him.

The “oh, and one more thing I forgot...” type e-mails nark me a bit. And I get plenty.

It’s very much the nature of the beast - he’s an online marketeer. It doesn’t work on me...but I get that it’s how his operation works.

He’s sort of become the latter day Clarkson era Top Gear of online bass tuition. It’s for the masses and people buy into it big time - he’s successful and people grow to resent the ubiquitousness of it all. Others adore it.

“Like sh*t in a field” As my grandad used to say.

More power to him. Wish I’d thought of it first - as well as Wishing I’d learned to be more theoretically minded rather than my “hit it and see what comes out” method of playing.

I signed up for a free trial and didn’t look at it - I think it was for a competition entry.

I reckon he’s probably a really sound bloke, and I bet I’d find his website useful. But I’m not drawn to it.

He doesn’t offend me, and I should just block his spam. 

He’s good at what he does, a very slick operator.

Not for me though.

At least you're not sitting on the fence...

I just find his style irritating.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but.

26 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

At least you're not sitting on the fence...

I just find his style irritating.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke and all but.

I get the splinters out of my backside with tweezers 😉😂

I didn’t feel the need to attack him and I honestly do admire anyone who can make a living off doing what they love.

• Like 3

I don't get the Hate for Scott and SBL.

I've met Scott a few times - LBGS - and he's a really nice bloke - he even remembered me the second time we met.

He's giving you free access to his time, his knowledge and experience - nobody's forcing you to sit and watch his videos - and most of us benefit from watching them. IMO He's a great tutor and makes learning easy and enjoyable.

I wish that there was a resource like him/SBL when I started playing.

Some people here need to give him a break.

• Like 9