Why become a member? ×

Scott's Bass Lessons - enough already!

petecarlton

Anyone else getting p*ssed off with the constant clickbait from Scott Devine?  Bless him, he's a great musician and an engaging personality, but I can't move on the interweb without being bumped into by him - not just on email (now blocked), but also on YouTube (sometimes in the middle of what I'm watching, quite apart from the ads at the beginning of other video channels) and on FB.  For instance, I used to follow quite a few interesting bass-related posters on FB, but Scott used to pop up on their sites with ads and posts, not always directly promoting his own site, but you knew why they were there.

It may be that his constant self-promotion is in the interests of bassists in general, because it gives a boost to our instrument, but as someone who has the word "bass" as a default for most types of internet search, from instruments and pedals to stories about performers and historic gigs, I'm heartily sick of seeing Mr Devine popping up wherever I go - the internet version of your girlfriend's annoying younger (but bigger) brother.  Grrrr!!!!

Edited by petecarlton

Just now, petecarlton said:

That works for some things, but I think the word bass combined with guitar is enough for him to be all over me on YouTube, for instance.

My sympathy.

I never sign in to YT.  Just lately they've been trying to get me to but I'm just not interested.  I download my clips to watch offline without inline 'verts.

• Thanks 2

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

My sympathy.

I never sign in to YT.  Just lately they've been trying to get me to but I'm just not interested.  I download my clips to watch offline without inline 'verts.

It's probably because of my advanced age, I tend to sign into things out of politeness - like they've put this stuff up, I ought to introduce myself!

• Like 1

Hmmm his advertising is pretty intense BUT he's got so much good free content I think we can give him a pass. Currently hacking through interminable Gary Willis lesson promotions but hey, Gary is great too. Love his books. Nice chap too - met him at a Bass show a few years back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I take your point, but I would rather have an occasional ad from him than about 99% of the adverts on TV. The are many things about YT that annoy me, but SD doesn’t rate high for me personally. I will say that I have never been or will I ever likely to become a Groovehacker 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I take your point, but I would rather have an occasional ad from him than about 99% of the adverts on TV. The are many things about YT that annoy me, but SD doesn’t rate high for me personally. I will say that I have never been or will I ever likely to become a Groovehacker 🙄

Yeah the 'Groovehacker' thing grates but otherwise, that's the nature of digital promotion. As I say, he's more than justified his presence with lots of great free content. I like his Billy Sheehan fixation and his respectful coverage of Jaco. He needs more Stanley thinking about it...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, visog said:

Yeah the 'Groovehacker' thing grates but otherwise, that's the nature of digital promotion. As I say, he's more than justified his presence with lots of great free content. I like his Billy Sheehan fixation and his respectful coverage of Jaco. He needs more Stanley thinking about it...

I get the Jaco thing in terms of his incredible dexterity and creativity, but I'd much rather listen to and work out a Carol Kaye line than try to dance all over the fretboard.

• Like 1

Just now, petecarlton said:

I get the Jaco thing in terms of his incredible dexterity and creativity, but I'd much rather listen to and work out a Carol Kaye line than try to dance all over the fretboard.

Absolutely... so she's published her tutor books 50 years ago. Now let's address Gary Willis' phenomenal approach...

• Thanks 1