Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones D400 query

Martin E

I've just acquired a Phil Jones D400 amp and what a beautifully made little thing it is.

Anyway, browsing through the instructions it twice mentions not to leave the amplifier plugged into a power source for a long period of time when not in use.

I'm now curious why this should be. Any ideas?

Funny you should ask this......I too have just bought a D-400 and before I did, I sent a mail to PJB asking that very question! Here's their reply..

"Like all electronic devices, it is not advised to leave it plugged into a power source when you are not using it, particularly if you have to leave for a long period of time such as a few days being away from home. Any spike from the power source, i.g. a lightning strike from thunder storm can harm the amp. This is a general warning, nothing unique to the design of the D-400."

A bit like the "unplug your TV before going to bed" advice we used to get. 🙂

Edited by Acebassmusic
  • Like 1

Thanks for that,  ill watch out for lightening strikes then.

I've only had mine for a couple of days so yet to try it in a live situation as well. Using it with  a  Phil Jones  C4 cab it seems plenty loud enough and I  am immediately appreciating it's completely silent operation.

2 hours ago, Martin E said:

Thanks for that,  ill watch out for lightening strikes then.

I've only had mine for a couple of days so yet to try it in a live situation as well. Using it with  a  Phil Jones  C4 cab it seems plenty loud enough and I  am immediately appreciating it's completely silent operation.

The silent operation bit is what caught my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I've been playing around with the PJB last weekend at home and comparing it to my Demeter for volume and tone, Using the same 4ohm Berg cab I found the 300w PJB to have plenty of volume against the 800w Demeter. My normal gig volume setting on the Demeter seemed to translate to the volume at 12 oclock on the PJB with room to spare. Pretty impressed and I'm sure that should I ever play a gig again (🤔😳🤣) there will be plenty of "me" to be heard 🙂 (If you're wondering, my nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away so no problem there).

The Lo Bass knob is good to dial out wooly-ness whilst still keeping a full punchy sound. One thing I did notice was that at lower volumes the tone of the PJB seemed darker with less top end sizzle and snap. At low volume I had the Hi-mid and treble nearly full up but when increasing the volume I dropped them down to what you see in the photo below.

20200922_211129.thumb.jpg.de1c754374fe1216d52f16633c7750d8.jpg

• Like 2