Why become a member? ×

What made you sell your stuff?

NancyJohnson

I'm somehow on 5.5 basses. I sold the Aria mentioned earlier in the thread but after a balls up by the courier it came back to me! In the meantime I bought a fretless Warwick that I really, really like. I also wanted to self assemble a bass, hence the fraction of a bass mentioned. 

I am flogging off all my multi effects, guitar and bass, which hold net me about 50 quid short of a HELIX Stomp to replace them all. The Helix is on pre order while two guitar effects pedals are still waiting for new homes, I never learn. 

I do need to get rid of some basses though. They're all good, I just don't think I need more than 3.

I don’t like owning stuff I’m not using and I’m not very sentimental about gear, so the surplus will be shifted on when I get round to it. I tend to play one bass almost all the time too so I wonder why I keep any more.

For amps I have a lightweight 2x10 and a small class D amp and I would always use that for convenience and portability. I also have an old trace combo that needs to go as I don’t have room for it when I lose my warehouse storage on retirement (soon). 

• Like 1

I restrict myself to 3 basses, so if I buy one, I sell one.

The first gear I sold was my lovely red silk drum kit, in 1968, because I’d been in the RAF for two years by then, with no foreseeable chance of using it again, and it was taking up room at my Mum’s......

Personally I feel that it's looking more and more likely that we are never going to play as a band live again. I work ad hoc which means I never know when I am going to work or for how long. Same with my time off. I get 28 days holiday which is the only time in the year that I know I will be off. Coupled with the current Covid restrictions I realised that having 14 bass guitars plus various other instruments was ridiculous. So far I have only sold one and that was a conflict of emotions. I'm sure the others will tear me apart even more.

On 12/09/2020 at 12:17, Thunderbird said:

In the past I've sold stuff as I needed the cash but a few years back I sold everything as I just became disinterested with playing and wasn't very well 

I have got a fair bit of gear now and only really sell stuff to buy or try new things out 

It's strange though. A bass can cost you say, around a thousand pounds new. You can keep it in superb condition and then you think I need to do some work on the car or the house so you decide to sell it. You are going to lose a couple of hundred at least but even if you got your thousand back, that thousand doesn't go far in the real world. It's gone in seconds. You look to buy another guitar and all of a sudden a thousand pounds is a great deal of money again.

• Like 2