Why become a member? ×

Super Mini Basses (16" scale or thereabouts)

ped

1 hour ago, ped said:

Sweet. Did you specify the placement of the pickup? I estimate you could get three more on there if you try hard enough ;)

No I left it to Maurizio's judgement, I figured he would know better than me.

Yes you could fit three in that space, which would be interesting and a bit Dingwall like...

• Haha 1

I just realised this spare laptop stand holds my bass really well! Because it’s headless and the bridge design it stands very securely.

The laptop is in a different stand although you can buy double slot ones  

99FE2388-6D97-43ED-BC50-EC88D9600D50.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2020 at 20:06, Stub Mandrel said:

Those are by far the prettiest, IMHO. Basic price seems reasonable for a custom build too.

Did you go for any extras?

Nope.

Spec:

Miezo 4 16” scale 

Ash body

Black stain

Birdseye maple fingerboard

Bartolini dual coil pickup (switchable)

Small knobs, passive

Black hardware.

Brass string anchor.

Satin hand rubbed finish

• Like 1

I should have said, the were some costs for the black finish, the ash body, maple fretboard and the dual coil, but it was all very reasonable.

With these basses you can almost ask for anything, and I was quite restrained in comparison to others I have seen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2020 at 11:35, TheGreek said:

It always fascinates me how the smaller the instrument, the more rudimentary the bridge yet the more critical placement becomes for good intonation...

• Thanks 1

MihaDo Fingybass arrived earlier today yesterday.

image.thumb.png.2c6712caf2ae6fae47c95bba165fe1cf.png

image.thumb.png.64f544cfa7a762e2f2b79ff45a439bfe.png

image.thumb.png.c05a56f1ad253cc10e2c1a7f8aa8f1b1.png

Seems nicely made. Chamfered edges, the body extension along the neck gives clearance all the way up the fretboard. Nut clamp is a piece of brass bar with grub screws for the clamp. As can be seen, tuning uses a 3mm Allen key and is very smooth. I think I'll put another strap peg in on the lower bout so it doesn't get scratched up. As can be seen, it has 2 3.5mm sockets - the lower one is the headphone socket (jack socket is switched off when headphone socket is switched on), and I think the one just by the switch is an input, allowing playing along with bangin' choonz. Intonation was almost spot on, just needed to move the bridge a couple of millimetres on the low B side. Controls are volume and tone, as you'd expect, and sound is pretty good. Next thing is some experimenting with effects and EQ.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 1

Looks good! I can see the way it’s constructed much better now. You might like to add another strap pin along the body so it balances further along to the side, as it were, in a more natural  position. Let us know how it sounds!

On 15/09/2020 at 10:12, Happy Jack said:

OK, so that's the same system on my (full sized) Westone 'The Rail'.

Totally agree about the bloody spikes. On my previous Rail I never did the second snip and I drew blood several times. 9_9

Wow you have a  Rail? I am not worthy. Seriously, I often wondered wheter that started as a development tool to check pickup position.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 00:59, tauzero said:

MihaDo Fingybass arrived earlier today yesterday.

image.thumb.png.2c6712caf2ae6fae47c95bba165fe1cf.png

image.thumb.png.64f544cfa7a762e2f2b79ff45a439bfe.png

image.thumb.png.c05a56f1ad253cc10e2c1a7f8aa8f1b1.png

Seems nicely made. Chamfered edges, the body extension along the neck gives clearance all the way up the fretboard. Nut clamp is a piece of brass bar with grub screws for the clamp. As can be seen, tuning uses a 3mm Allen key and is very smooth. I think I'll put another strap peg in on the lower bout so it doesn't get scratched up. As can be seen, it has 2 3.5mm sockets - the lower one is the headphone socket (jack socket is switched off when headphone socket is switched on), and I think the one just by the switch is an input, allowing playing along with bangin' choonz. Intonation was almost spot on, just needed to move the bridge a couple of millimetres on the low B side. Controls are volume and tone, as you'd expect, and sound is pretty good. Next thing is some experimenting with effects and EQ.

Although I like it, personally I think a Steinberger type bridge so a longer scale length and less crowded fretboard in the same 'envelope' would be good.

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Although I like it, personally I think a Steinberger type bridge so a longer scale length and less crowded fretboard in the same 'envelope' would be good.

I agree with the Steinberger bridge, not so about the scale length - it's half standard scale. However, it would take the cost up somewhat from £400. I can't see there being an enormous market in mini-basses, so having them spread across a range of prices is better for both maker and buyer than having them all clustering about the same amount.

• Like 1

The Miezo is here!

I have literally just plugged it in and it has sustain for days. The Bartolini pickup sounds good, the action is low, great carry bag and the size means it's comfortable to play seated or standing. I'll have to try it out properly over the weekend.

Edited by Grantd
Pictures not working
  • Like 1