Why become a member? ×

Mass extinction event

visog

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

A hell of a lot of pubs and other small venues will never open again.

I think they will, although in a revised form (or at least, they will be replaced). Live music was struggling anyway, but Covid-19 has made many more people appreciate the value of real as opposed to virtual media. Once it's all over, we might see a revival of interesting in live music and live arts generally

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I wish I shared your optimism man. But we shall see in the fullness of time. Hope you're right and I'm not.

I think there's two sides to this.

There's a lot of talk about the arts 'dying out' as if one generation and one event have the power to destroy a definitive aspect of human culture, not only going back several tens of thousands of years, but with what i think the anthropologists describe as cultural universality, that is arts emerged out of the emergent biology of human brains not by being developed and exported by a specific culture. In short, humans are hard-wired to not just enjoy, but need to be involved in music - either listening or performing - and to be engaging with other people as they do so. I'm an optimistic for sure, but I have some degree of evidence to back it up :)

The other side however is the current business model in the arts and the current economy. The current business model, which has improved I think in some sectors, is still one in which about 98% of the money is owned by about 2% of the performers and organisations (yes I made that up before you ask, but it's ball park), so yes, like sport, I hope that business model is changed by Covid 19. I say this with all respect to the people here and elsewhere who make a living out of playing and/or recording music. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rich said:

The music itself is fine, it's the actual live scene that's in a mess. A hell of a lot of pubs and other small venues will never open again.

And many of them will be replaced by new venues once the "dust has settled".

It's always been like this. Pre-Covid, apart from Rock City (and one other which has gone through numerous name changes and now bears little resemblance as a venue to the one I played at in the 90s), none of the places in Nottingham I was playing in the 80s, 90s and 2000s still exist as music venues anymore, but there are still plenty of places left to play, most of which are far better as venues than the places I was playing the I first moved here. Also it is now much easier to get weekend gig for originals bands than it used to be, when Friday and Saturday nights were strictly discos and covers bands.

I see this as failure to acknowledge that things change and move on and as much as we would like everything to remain exactly as it was for ever, many of those changes from my PoV have most certainly been for the better.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

Over lockdown I've been involved with a weekly series of compilations to raise funds for independent Manchester venues.

Vol 15 came out today - we've so far compiled 150 tracks by 148 artists, a mixture of old, new, local and famous - all the tracks can be sampled as streams without having to pay. While not all of it is entirely to my tastes, I'd feel very sorry for the person unable to find something new, good or both in here:

https://lockdownlive.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Dankology

18 hours ago, visog said:

BC'ers,

Is it me or is played music going through a mass extinction event? No live music and recorded music having no value. I can't see us coming back from this for months and I'm not talking purely Covid. Not heard any played band music that inspires for ages. Bit bleak I know but suggest a counter argument. Please no Snarky Puppy, Wulfpeck or other re-heated jazz-funk. I'm looking for a new Beatles with a bit of Pink Floyd. And Stravinsky. 

If you want good music, you'll have to go looking for it. It sure won't be presented to you through standard media. But the good news is we now have YouTube etc. 

Live music seems to be off the menu for the foreseeable future, but when it does return I'd like to think that people will value it more. Either that, or venues will realise that juke boxes are both more popular and more cost effective.... time will tell... 

• Like 1

Is there perhaps not an issue with what music we are looking for?

To not want "re-heated jazz funk" in searching for the new Beatles seems ironic.

The Beatles are gone forever. There is no new Pink Floyd, they are also gone. There will be no equivalent because they were entirely of their time and environment. A group of young men wanting to hold your hand in 2020 would be sickeningly twee at best. So we have to ask ourselves: do I want actual new music or do I want a fresh version of old music?

There will be groups that are roughly in line with an influential group but nobody is going to write 'Money' a second time. 

There is absolutely new and exciting music being made all over the world and it's easier to find than ever. That said, it isn't easy if that makes sense? It will require looking for but the internet is far easier to navigate than the old ways!

But there will also be bands that churn out imitations of their forebears, so there really is something for everybody!

• Like 2

Just now, Dapper Bandit said:

The Beatles are gone forever. There is no new Pink Floyd, they are also gone. There will be no equivalent because they were entirely of their time and environment. A group of young men wanting to hold your hand in 2020 would be sickeningly twee at best. So we have to ask ourselves: do I want actual new music or do I want a fresh version of old music?

There will be groups that are roughly in line with an influential group but nobody is going to write 'Money' a second time.

Very well said.