YamaCore

SpondonBassed

On 28/09/2020 at 22:28, Teebs said:

Here we go...

914701485_YamacoreLogo.thumb.png.16c564f9e94a5d8fb49038848d1640c5.png

On 28/09/2020 at 23:13, Teebs said:

2045642028_HeadstockMockup.png.f867d1a1c93e93e6051d0bdf42eea2a9.png

On 28/09/2020 at 23:21, Teebs said:

You could always change the 'propeller' logo to a herbal graphic... siffler.gif.71056ea04fd4866b3d20736ae7723816.gif

Marijuana-logos.png.c67b7523c5da54b11eeed4588eee937d.png

1039983661_HeadstockMockupMaj.png.fc1b466d20caee0fb39ce42fbaccf942.png

:)

I owe you three likes.  At the moment I am all spaffed out.

That's not at all bad looking.  I won't be putting a cannabis leaf anywhere near it though.  The place for those is in a bong, a vape box or a nice cake.  Spliffs are so last century.

I do however want the Rasta colours of black, red, yellow and green in combination within the graphic.

It's nice of you to include an aerospace reference in the form of a propeller.  I think I'll keep the tuning forks however.

It is my intention to do as little refinishing as possible so the headstock face is stopping as it is.  I will put the Basschat address on the back possibly with a QR code pointing to this topic.

I would therefore like to have a modified version of this on the pickguard - the only part that I have manufactured.

Good man!  You sought out the correct typefaces.  I had done that also only not quite as well.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The piece of sheet that I've cut is fairly thick but I think it's okay for the job.  I will have to find a way of binding the edge to make it a bit more tactile.  Cutting the holes for the controls is to be done carefully because of the soft plastic.

ReadyToDrill.jpg.1882517f09332e296743d7f057ca22fc.jpg

I used a tap handle with an auger drill bit to cut accurately.

HandDrill.jpg.0031c1e63159c07240f2db9d39cf467b.jpg

Turning the bit by hand affords a degree of control that you wouldn't have even with a hand brace.

DrilledReadyForTrimming.jpg.06bc6f961099accc6f1033c1bc68c031.jpg

A sharp blade trims off the ragged edges easily

TrimmedHolesReadyForControls.jpg.0b72cd65dcdd323e2d9a28a224addc58.jpg

The controls are ready to fit

Connected.jpg.3bc6b4f9da97eef829960843af0a4d68.jpg

The loom is very easy to fit.  I think I mentioned before that it looks like one of @KiOgon's with a solderless connecting block.

ControlsInstalled.jpg.9fdf82ea8ff58c521a105415e50cf82e.jpg

Job's a good 'un.  If there is good enough light outside tomorrow I will get a better image to replace the full sized one a couple of posts above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you can find a clear, thick glue, a bead run around (and into) the edges might do the job.

I've considered a stiff resin mix like Araldite's slow pack.  The problem is that the sheet will wick where the corrugated cells are open at either end.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a bound edge.

• Like 1

That pickguard material looks like fluted polypropylene (brand name Corex). *

Unfortunately, it'll be very difficult to get a nice edge - the thinness of the walls and the flutes make a very sharp & compressible material.

:(

* was a tech rep for Amari Plastics in a former life, for my sins.

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What about making a pickguard from a carpet tile, for extreme comfort on cold winter evenings

Do they do a carpet tile version of a tufted shag?

37 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

A fur one like this would keep your hands warm in the winter 😁

F2706359-2279-4B5F-9170-5938F928DDE9.jpeg

Why yes.  Yes, they do.

Funnily enough.  I am considering a role in a ZZ Top tribute band for sometime down the line.

To that end, I'm working on my "inner Dusty".  Uncomplicated bass lines but boy do they show up any and all of your inconsistencies.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Teebs said:

That pickguard material looks like fluted polypropylene (brand name Corex). *

Unfortunately, it'll be very difficult to get a nice edge - the thinness of the walls and the flutes make a very sharp & compressible material.

:(

* was a tech rep for Amari Plastics in a former life, for my sins.

Thanks.  I had been at a loss as to what to call it.  I thought it might be polycarbonate but that was a clumsy guess and I wouldn't have put my reputation on it.

Now I know what it is I have a chance of finding a bonding agent to help with the binding.  Also, I am reluctant to use screws to attach the pickguard until I've tried double sided tape.  This is not going to stop me using the bass in practice however.  I'm liking its sound.

I have never managed to put up an example of my playing but I will try later with this build.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Funnily enough.  I am considering a role in a ZZ Top tribute band for sometime down the line.

To that end, I'm working on my "inner Dusty".  Uncomplicated bass lines but boy do they show up any and all of your inconsistencies.

That sounds great sponz , I really like some of zz top songs especially sharp dressed man , I remember the video, I’ve played a few of their songs for fun, and although they aren’t that technically challenging they wasn’t as easy as I thought, I really had to concentrate on the groove 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Intrigued and impressed with the two extra angled 'pull up' screws into the neck heel.  Never seen that before - is that a @SpondonBassed special?

It's something I copied from a YT clip of Billy Sheehan.

In it he explained how he liked to have the two extra screws to pull the neck right into the body before the traditional screws were tightened up.  He went on to say that the mod was one he had done on more than one bass.  Like his neck mounted humbucker and the scallops between the upper frets he seems to see it almost as a part of his identity.

He said that he tried a bass that was being built for him before the two angled screws were tightened up and then afterwards.  The bass just came alive, he said.  It looked like a very easy mod to do with no bad consequences as the bass is built from donor parts.  If nothing else its experience.  It's also going to be a laugh to be able to say it's modified like Billy's then watch them looking for scallops and HBs hard against the neck end like they expect.

I haven't tried a before and after.  I am not disappointed with the way this hybrid holds its notes either.

You might be a better judge than me having made many basses and guitars.

3 hours ago, Teebs said:

My Yammy BB has this:

Thanks.

That's interesting.  It kinda endorses the mod somewhat seeing that.  As if Billy Sheehan's use of it wasn't enough.

I wonder where it first appeared.  "Mitre Bolting"  Gosh.  Now I can say I have a mitre bolted six bolt neck just for geek points down at the Pullet and Whippet.

It's an odd coincidence that it's the Yam BB series though.  I had no knowledge of the model you illustrated beforehand and yet ended up what Yamaha have done on some of their BBs on my BB1100s neck.

Ah well Ruth is stranger than friction, as they say (almost).

The thing for me was having the extra heavy Encore body, I wanted to make the most of it.  I reckoned the Yam neck was a good 'un and coupled with a high mass body, I would gain whatever benefit there is to be had from it.

• Like 2

I threatened you with this warned you politely about this above.  I've kept it short for mercy's sake:

Played with Vol and Tone open through my Laney RB3.  Tone is flat on the combo and the gain set to trigger the compressor (such as it is) most of the time.  Recording is via an LG 'phone camera.

30mb for a few seconds of video is a bit more storage than I wanted to use so make the most of it.

• Like 7