Why become a member? ×

YamaCore

SpondonBassed

I've been hesitant to go further this week because I was looking at a relatively expensive purchase in the sourcing of pickguard material.  This will almost certainly be a unique shape even though I am following the outline of the missing original in the faded red paint of the Encore body.  The pickup position that has been dictated by the Yamaha neck has made that most likely.

The faded paint is just visible enough to make out under good light.  Tracing paper is not transparent enough to make out and trace with a pencil however.  I used some flimsy masking sheet that was handy and getting it as gently taut as possible was able to trace the outline onto it.

TracedPickguardOutline.jpg.5700b759e9e294f5e24a433ed57251da.jpg

The trick then is to get that outline onto the card backing* without distorting or ripping the flimsy plastic sheet.  It is especially fragile since I have cut the outline of the pickup and the neck with a sharp blade to allow the sheet to sit flat against the body.  I used a glass cutter.  The little wheel allowed me to follow the curve accurately whilst scribing that curve into the card.

*In this case, a Weetabix packet.  Other cereals' or products' containers may be used.

EmbossedOutline.jpg.2505d85a1a523f20df5aa3a2c17e8ca1.jpg

I followed the scribed outline with a sharp blade.  It came out better than I'd hoped.  A few minor shavings and I've ended up with a pleasing shape that is worth working on both to mount the controls and to finish off the instrument respectfully.

PickguardTemplate.jpg.49d12d68c4ba6734259117fd012f5d79.jpg

Here it is in reverse.  For the next build, I quite like the idea of using a "Pop Tart" packet with the outside showing and then having it laminated onto a proper three ply backing...

TemplateReversed.jpg.a7356431dcd8309ea51c2c724632d9fd.jpg

The mock up is promising.

PickguardMockUp.jpg.77c97b337feca5b7ea6fe6d71edc1dd6.jpg

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 6

I am a bugger for saving stuff in odd places.  I found some old polycarbonate sheeting from a cheap plastic cold frame that my late mum had in the garden.  When retiring it from use I kept the sheeting because it was compact and flat and easily hidden behind one of the bunkers.

Sometimes this strategy pays off.

ReadyToCutCorrugatedSheet.jpg.0570a3143fd9c7c577212e2007800e8a.jpg

I cut a pickguard from it using the template I made yesterday.

TrialCut.jpg.9d08a35d3da7112fc2c5a01128444808.jpg

Loosely installed this seems to work with the overall look of the bass.  I may have been staring at it for too long...

LookingOkay.jpg.d3617fbdd15a6a84f986973a9fd2751d.jpg

I must try some strong lighting on it to see if it would look interesting on stage.

TranslucentPickguard.jpg.9aee044a616faa7df45e2058a00a0038.jpg

Getting there...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's an interesting idea.

I like the simplicity of the instrument however.  I am reluctant to embellish it particularly as it seems to be speaking for itself.  It's heavy.  It sustains like a good 'un. It sounds good in BEAD.

I'm happy enough to leave it.  If the copper tape I used for shielding remains shiny it will reflect any light shone onto the surface from within.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 20:54, LukeFRC said:

does it make much difference to sound? I've used threaded nuts in bits builds before and to my ears, it makes a difference vs screws. (I prefer screws) 

I've reread your post today and realised you might have been enquiring about the sound because of the Billy Sheehan mod...?

If so, I can happily report that the instrument has a solid feel to it.  As soon as you pick it up it's tangibly stiff and heavy.  It sustains very well and it has a well defined P like sound that just rings and rings.

At some point, I'd love someone with ability beyond my own to demonstrate what it is capable of.  PM me if you are a member who is local enough to Spondon to make it happen.

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That must come along to a Bass Bash eventually!

Duly noted.  Thank you.

I am really only putting parts together.  The crafting has been done for me.  It's more fun than a kit though.  Cheaper too, thanks to the goodness of fellow members.

I was thinking of branding.

Acknowledgement is due to Encore, Yamaha and Basschat's recycling fans.  The pickguard is the location I've chosen.  I'm open to suggestions for a graphic that includes the name YamaCore and that credits Basschat's recyclers.

48 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Great project. I'd be tempted to invest in a gold anodised PG on there, for that 50s P bass look. 😎

I have enough stuff around me to put me in fear of becoming one of those hoarders that used to feature on Channel 4 a couple of years ago.  I have to use some of it or that's where I'm heading.

The build hasn't cost anything directly so far.

Although I'd like some properly laminated PG sheet to play with, I want to keep to recycled materials.  Oh... and I'm tighter than a duck's backside when it comes to spending.

Lovely idea though thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

First try...

image.png.7570edecbfa25dd88588aab94025cf3d.png

Cheers!

That's getting the ideas moving a bit more.  It's on the short-list.

I would like to include our forum's URL but I suppose I should consider having a QR code that links to the thread as well.

I don't want just red in the graphic.  I'd like yellow and green to go with the same red as is on the body and have it on a black background of a non regular shape that flows within the shape of the PG.  Although I don't openly support the "legalise it" movement, I am not against it.  I am quite happy to fly the Rastafarian colours.

I like the choice of typeface.  Thanks for the contribution.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I won't be offended by any pointless suggested changes, ridiculous ideas for 'improving' it or a cruel heartless rejection in favour of someone else's crappy attempt.

I am not cruel and heartless, rest assured.  I am like Dinsdale Piranha... cruel but fair.

What?  You want me to put a closing date on it already?  Heeheehee

I'm liking your second offering.  I think the URL and QR code would be better in fine print on the back of the headstock.  Having given it a bit of thought, I don't really want it to look like I've been given sponsorship.  (Unless I have and it is an obscene sum of money.)

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

I am not cruel and heartless, rest assured.  I am like Dinsdale Piranha... cruel but fair.

What?  You want me to put a closing date on it already?  Heeheehee

I'm liking your second offering.  I think the URL and QR code would be better in fine print on the back of the headstock.  Having given it a bit of thought, I don't really want it to look like I've been given sponsorship.  (Unless I have and it is an obscene sum of money.)

I can sponsor you for an obscure amount of money?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If anyone wants to use this as a basis for their graphic...

YamaCoreDaylightMockup.thumb.jpg.1f47e8a3737095d483660d532a379e3f.jpg

The shadow is from the sun at about nine thirty this morning.  No flash.

DaylightWithKnobsOn.thumb.jpg.4fd8af2eff2d51509bc687e7bd85270f.jpg

Shot a day after the one above .  Now it has knobs on, so to speak.  Not much sunlight but at least it's not artificial.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 3