Why become a member? ×

SBL podcast - great bass interviews

Richard R

This may be old news to many of you, but I hadn't realised it. Scott Devine has been running a long series of interviews with notable bass players. If you're an academy member then the videos are in there, but the audio recordings are available to anyone as podcasts at

https://scottsbasslessons.com/podcast

They are really interesting,  not at all manic, and well worth a listen. I've never heard of some of these guys and girls, but then have gone on to get their albums. Others  I have heard of like Mo Foster and Gail Ann Dorsey, but don't really know anything about them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wish that they'd had Scott's Bass Lessons back when I was starting out. All we had was Rockschool on BBC2 , half an hour once a week  for a few weeks, two series. That was your lot. And no VCR to tape the first series. It was tough in those days to find out things that you can learn in minutes now. But yes, all the relentless marketing is pretty annoying. 

The course library at SBL is a unique resource in bass education and has given me insight and instruction that wouldn't have been available to me short of trying to take lessons with some of the players in question. A lot of Scotts free lessons are also a fantastic resource, especially if you go back through his channel to the tutorials he released prior to the YouTube algorithm changing (some of them continue to shape my practice and playing to this day). considering everything I've gained from SBL (the podcast among them!) im prepared to put up with being hit with marketing most times I go on YouTube :) 

I wouldn't be where I am today without Scott.  I was with him very early on. He tried out a couple of ideas on me, I said no, he did them anyway and never went wrong.  Which is why he is worth last time I looked north of a couple of million, and I'm ...not.  And he is a nice chap. 

I've been subscribed to his podcast for several months, they've been interesting yeah if a little sporadic. Some nice bits about the music 'biz' and being a session musician.

Janek Gwizdala and his wife also do a bass podcast called Two Bass Hit for anyone looking for other bass related podcasts, more casual chat about playing for a living as they do than interviews though.