Why become a member? ×

Strings for de-tuning gauge or tension?!

donslow

So, new band incoming...

playing mostly tuned either DADG or EbAbDbGb

the bass(es) that I use for my existing project (which plays standard EADG) will be my go to bass(es) for the new one also as they’re the only ones I have, but when I de-tune either bass the strings are all a bit....flippy floppy

looking at replacing the strings with something that would work well for both but can’t decide if I need to go up a gauge or find something high tension

my current preferred gauge is 45 65 85 105

what would you guys do?

any experience/advice massively appreciated

Use this: http://web.daddario.com/StringTensionPro/Search

Dial in the scale length of your bass, your current tuning and the current gauge of your strings, and note the tension displayed in the calculator, then plot in your new tuning and experiment with plotting in different gauges till you hit approximately the same tension in the calculator as the first result.

This calculator is tuned for D'Addario strings in specific, but will approximately work for most strings of the same type you chose to plot in (nickle roundwound/stainless steel/flats e.t.c).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Up a gauge on the ones you already like.

If you are just in Drop D then you might only need a larger E string. When I did that a lot I used a 110 for E.

I wouldn't bother swapping all strings just to play half a tone down though. 50-110 are likely to be really tight in e flat standard.

I'd just get used to it being a little lighter instead.

The String Tension Pro site is great. 

For D Standard and drop C (the drop D equivalent when in D standard) I use the D'Addario balance tension 120-50 set (120, 90, 67, 50).  I find the tension to be similar to a 45-105 set in standard. You might think that 120 for a low d is ridiculously heavy but when you look at the tension ratings they are actually pretty much in line with the rest of the strings. However, I think it would be pretty tight for a half step down tuning. 

For E flat tuning I would just use the 105-45 set you use for standard tuning. 

With two basses I would have one bass set up for DADG and one bass set up for standard tuning/E flat. If something happens to your main DADG bass on a gig, the E flat bass could easily be tuned down to DADG in an emergency. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, thodrik said:

With two basses I would have one bass set up for DADG and one bass set up for standard tuning/E flat. If something happens to your main DADG bass on a gig, the E flat bass could easily be tuned down to DADG in an emergency. 

That’s my kind of thinking with the new project whereas with the existing one I tend to just alternate because...why the heck not?!

I quite like high tension in standard tuning so really I’m looking for strings that’ll give me high tension in standard but medium/high (is that a thing?!) when tuned down also but a bit lost when it comes to different strings and tension really :-s

10 minutes ago, donslow said:

That’s my kind of thinking with the new project whereas with the existing one I tend to just alternate because...why the heck not?!

I quite like high tension in standard tuning so really I’m looking for strings that’ll give me high tension in standard but medium/high (is that a thing?!) when tuned down also but a bit lost when it comes to different strings and tension really :-s

Most strings will have a similar difference in tension when tuned down a similar amount.

Take my advice :

The String Tension Pro online app from D'Addario that I linked to in the first reply in this thread really ought to be able to answer your questions.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Most strings will have a similar difference in tension when tuned down a similar amount.

Take my advice :

The String Tension Pro online app from D'Addario that I linked to in the first reply in this thread really ought to be able to answer your questions.

Will have a good look through as soon as the rig rats are asleep! Thank you for the suggestion bud