Why become a member? ×

Fed up with carrying a fretless and fretted bass to a gig?

jazzyvee

16 hours ago, Hellzero said:

I prefer this approach :

Steinberger made a prototype bass with the same system - possibly under license.   The bass was for sale on Ebay over a decade ago. It worked off the idea that the frets would rotate in place and the fretless mode the frets were flat.  It's a fantastic idea apart from one slight hitch, the action in fretless mode is quite high.  Fretless mode could include a zero fret I guess but lowering the bridge saddles would be a bit trickier. 

15 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Or you could bring a set of pliers to the gig so you can play the first set fretted and the second fretless

Alternatively, you could remove every other fret and have a combination of fretted and fretless on the same neck. :|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/09/2020 at 19:39, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Or seek out that Ibanez thing  that had a fretted E, A, D, & G, then a fretless duplicate D and G string. All on the same neck, of course...

Wilkes produced half and half basses back in the late seventies. Fretless was above the 9th fret I think. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, itu said:

Half fretted necks, there were quite a few makers back then. Ibanez Ashula (2 models) was mentioned, too.

I think Aria did this on the SB series, so in the early 80s. I've seen a special run one with frets 1-7 in and fretless down to the dusty end. 

Personally I just take two basses and have a different effect on my multi fx depending on the bass I use. Or, I just don't wobble the notes on my fretless I'd I don't want that sound, that's the cheapest, easiest and least fun solution 😊

• 8 months later...
23 hours ago, Henrythe8 said:

Wow. amaing thingies, here. Just doesn't work because a bass plyeyr will always prefer to have two basses 🙂 

The DiPiazza bridge is worth mentioning. 

Isn't that a kind of curry?

• Haha 2