Why become a member? ×

NB²D - is a twin neck one bass or two?

Happy Jack

As documented here:

... and with a great deal of help from @Woodinblack and @stewblack, a suitable location was chosen for the final handover to me.

Unfortunately a nearby 5G mast distorted my brain as I was setting the satnav and ... erm ... I drove to a different location.

Not to worry because Stew had his entire family in the car with him, and they had no problem driving an extra 25 miles to find me and @Silvia Bluejay (who handled my faux pas with astonishing equilibrium) and the handover was accomplished anyway.

13086379_DanelectroHandover.thumb.jpg.85ed24c90c81f5a7baddf9b602b2d0c1.jpg

• Like 15

It does have a truss rod when you take the neck off but the reason that neck is foreword is the lack of shim, it's not a clever design feature!

you can see now why I said the switch being backwards was irritating, it's hard enough with those controls to get the right thing without a reversed switch!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

when's the keyboard coming out? See you've got the stand ready!

The real KB stand is in the lock-up, pending me learning to play piano properly again. It's been a 40-year wait, but I feel sure it'll be worth it. ;)

• Like 1

An absolute beauty, I love it 👍

One thing to be aware of as it's a bit heavier than a single longhorn is that those strap buttons are tapered plastic ones, knocked into a hole in the wooden frame. They have a reputation for working loose so keep an eye on them with the extra weight. 

The little wooden saddle is also only fixed in the middle, screwed from under bridge, in a longitudinal slot. It will move backwards and forwards, and pivot to allow for the best intonation achievable with a single saddle. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Maude said:

One thing to be aware of as it's a bit heavier than a single longhorn is that those strap buttons are tapered plastic ones, knocked into a hole in the wooden frame. They have a reputation for working loose so keep an eye on them with the extra weight. 

The little wooden saddle is also only fixed in the middle, screwed from under bridge, in a longitudinal slot. It will move backwards and forwards, and pivot to allow for the best intonation achievable with a single saddle. 

Thanks mate, that's very helpful.

The first bass that I ever bought for myself (as opposed to my offspring) was a Hofner 500/1 Violin, which famously has an equally primitive approach to intonation.

• Like 1