Why become a member? ×

Help please, please

Useless amateur

Hi all. I have been playing a few months on an unbranded second hand precision bass I bought for £50 just to see how I got on and want to upgrade to something more worthwhile. I want a precision bass and in an ideal world it would be white with a black scratchplate. I am looking at the Squier Classic 60’s

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-classic-vibe-60s-precision-bass-laurel-fb-olympic-white?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-uH6BRDQARIsAI3I-UcfLaUm2kd6bYW9CkhYIjP5KNGTfM7upUaMd4DkoHpURzSXFLVzMyUaAisuEALw_wcB

But before I pull the trigger does anyone have any better suggestions. I don’t care if it is second hand but it needs to be delivered as I am a bit of a cripple and can’t travel about to collect anything unless it is really close.

Really appreciate any input

Jon

20 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

If you like a chunky neck the Vintage V4 is worth checking out, slimmer neck then the Squier would be a good choice.

I have looked at those and yeah they seemed perfect, would have one of those too. You say they are comparable in quality? I’ll see if I can find one

Jon

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Where are you Jon? It may help in case one of the good folk on here can act as courier and help get a bass to you.

Obviously, also check the classifieds on here. Might also be worth measuring the width at the nut so you have an idea of the size of neck you're used to.

I live in Weston super Mare out in the West Country. I don’t mind paying for things to be couriered, a lot of the companies are really good. A few cowboys about though.

I have had a look at the Vintage range as that is what the local music store stocks and they play well enough for me. I’m not exactly brilliant so as much as I would love a fender it would be wasted on me.

Thanks for all the help guys

Jon

• Like 1

Gear4Music have this

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-V4-Reissued-Bass-MN-Vintage-White-Ex-Demo/3JWM

What do people think of this vs the Squier 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Classic-Vibe-60s-Precision-Bass-LRL-Olympic-White/2U5E

I have read reviews of both and majority favour the Squier but a lot of people who own the Vintage swear by it. Money is tight so that is also a factor. However the Squiers seem to really hold their value, not that I intend to sell it

Jon

7 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Come up to Bristol and play a few in PMT (if they allow it!) - it will gives you an idea of What you feel comfortable with

I’ve played a few in my price range and I like the Squier Classic 60’s and the Vintage V4 series

Truth is there aren’t many Precision basses in my price range.

Thanks for the thought

Jon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lownote12 said:

Revelation P bass ( Bass Gallery, other) is awesome for the price (< £200 new). Curious about your user name. Bit negative?

Yeah it is, the useless refers to my body which is falling apart spectacularly and amateur as I have only been playing bass for a few months 👍

Jon

13 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Possibility of a Basschat relay? 

Jon

You may not have got this but we have had instances where members have banded together to pick up a bass and (maybe via a number of different members) transported something from seller to buyer. Maybe that would help you in this case. Shame to let a bargain slip through your fingers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Jon

You may not have got this but we have had instances where members have banded together to pick up a bass and (maybe via a number of different members) transported something from seller to buyer. Maybe that would help you in this case. Shame to let a bargain slip through your fingers.

That is amazingly kind but I only joined the forum yesterday so I certainly wouldn’t be expecting anyone to do anything like that for me. Expecting is the wrong word but I hope you get what I am saying. 

Thanks

Jon