Why become a member? ×

Stentor Student - snapped tailwire

MrTea

Picked up a cheap older stentor student tonight. The first job was to locate and extract the source of the rattle inside the body which turned out to a kids plastic traffic cone. Fairly easily extracted with a BBQ fork and some blu tac (no need to shake the bass above my head). 

I reset the bridge and started bringing it up to tension when the tailwire snapped (luckily before it was under much stress). Any advice on if there's any difference on replacing this? Also is it worth replacing the metal tailpiece with a wooden one? Will it make any difference? 

Any decent quality braided stell cable will do.  The only taile wire I would't buy again is the Wittner one with the threaded ends that insert into the holes in the tailpiece - the one I bought snapped at the threads after about 6 months, though It's entirely possible that was caused by the slightly wonky holes in my tailpeice rather than a problem with the cable.  I had it replaced with a standard braided steel cable and a cable clamp and it's been fine ever since.  

https://gollihurmusic.com/tailgut-tailpiece-hanger-replacing-with-stranded-cable/

Metal tailpieces are fine until you start mounting things on them, like pickup jacks or preamps, when they are prone to all sorts of annoying buzzes and rattles.  I have a Stentor with a metal tailpiece inthe rehearsal studio and I have to stuff all sorts of bits of foam between the pickup jack and the tailpiece to stop it rattling. 

Edited by TheRev