Why become a member? ×

Living the dream!

GGM

So, ever since I started to get into bass and learn bass there has been one bass I've wanted, i've always love Fenders and have had several Precisison's and Jazz's over the years (I still have 2 jazz basses that I love) but I've always hankered after a Rickenbacker, a 4001 or 4003, today I finally got a Rickenbacker 4003 and it's everything I hoped.  Sensational. Obvs had to take the silly pickup cover off and it's just a rock machine. Very happy. 

IMG_7377.jpg

• Like 11

Hiho,glad you like it.21 years of fun for me and still out giggin.

Initial set up then another set up for bridge when Hipshot went in and no other adjustments. I would of had triggers broom with a £$&%!* by now.

Enjoy

Congratulations @GGM!! I love my Midnight Blue 4003. I also removed the pickup cover but that metal surround seems to be made from razor blades 🙂 I cant see if you have one already but I fitted a bezel that effectively fills the hole around the pup and prevents you catching your fingers.

Here's a link to one sold by DVD but there are others on the market https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Rickenbacker-Bezel-Thumbrest/art-BAS0010567-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=5G_AqJarZwoAAAFl0FZyjI8V&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2MDur8XZ6wIVVeDtCh2WtALzEAQYAiABEgJ52vD_BwE it's pricey for a little bit of black plastic but does the trick.

Cheers, Darren.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Ric owners Club! I love my 4003s and use it all the time at present. I had a 4003 mapleglo back around 2009 but sold it on after a gig and recording session. Always regretted that so when I found a competitively priced 4003s a couple of years ago, I snapped it up! This one has recorded a whole album and done quite a few shows up until lockdown. It's about to record a new album and goes back out live at the end of the month. As you can see like @PigBass I too recommend removing the cover and getting the bezel fitted.

IMG_3142.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Welcome to the Ric owners Club! I love my 4003s and use it all the time at present. I had a 4003 mapleglo back around 2009 but sold it on after a gig and recording session. Always regretted that so when I found a competitively priced 4003s a couple of years ago, I snapped it up! This one has recorded a whole album and done quite a few shows up until lockdown. It's about to record a new album and goes back out live at the end of the month. As you can see like @PigBass I too recommend removing the cover and getting the bezel fitted.

IMG_3142.jpg

That looks amazing with the black TRC and scratchplate.

On 07/09/2020 at 23:21, GGM said:

So, ever since I started to get into bass and learn bass there has been one bass I've wanted, i've always love Fenders and have had several Precisison's and Jazz's over the years (I still have 2 jazz basses that I love) but I've always hankered after a Rickenbacker, a 4001 or 4003, today I finally got a Rickenbacker 4003 and it's everything I hoped.  Sensational. Obvs had to take the silly pickup cover off and it's just a rock machine. Very happy. 

IMG_7377.jpg

Congratulations! I definitely recommend a bezel to go around the treble pickup - but don't get the 'official' Rickenbacker one as it only fits if the pickup is straight, which as we know, most aren't... yours doesn't look to wonky actually!

The whole RIC treble bezel thing is pretty disgraceful anyway,  ripping off another company's design. Pay extra for the original. It's much better quality as well.

And the most important thing of all - peel those stickers off 😂

Congrats on your new arrival... and yes, take the damn stickers off! :D 

It took me 20-odd years of lusting after one to get one, but when I did, I was sold.

One thing I will say, is that you may have to adjust your playing style slightly from playing an "F" style bass to the "R" style bass. A lot of people think that they can just dive straight in and play as normal, unfortunately, it's not that simple, and a lot of people find themselves in possession of a long-sought after bass that they just can't get on with. 

The best analogy is getting out of a modern family car, and into the classic car from the 1960's or '70's that you always loved. The car does the same things, but you have to adjust your driving style  to suit the car, not the other way around.

If you watch video's of people playing Ric's, you will notice that most tend to play between the neck & bridge pickups, rather than between the bridge pickup & the bridge. Well worth trying.