Why become a member? Γ—

What Do You Love 😍 😍 😍

stewblack

When I first got a chance to try a Stingray in 1985 in Sound Control in Glasgow, , it immediately said β€œyes” to me - sound, neck, build, looks everything. Β Couldn’t afford one at the time as I was a poor student from a single parent family. Β  Β 

However nowΒ fortunate enough to have owned a few in my time, with an β€˜88 2EQ and my current Classic being favourites, Β  Still get *that* feeling everyΒ time I pickΒ it up and my 13yo son loves it too. Β Chuffed that he can get the chance to play what, for me, was an unaffordable dream for years.

F2-B83-D12-AD21-4-D0-E-B42-F-46-B2-CB4-A

Β 

• Like 4

A Jerry Jones Longhorn (a now discontinued, sort of high quality, high end, version of the Danelectro one, from a now retired luthier/company), just with a solid body mahogany body (the Longhorn is semi hollow), a Musicman pickup (the NordstrandΒ Big Blademan) in the P pickup position, an ebony fretboard, and a 28,6" scale length,Β I would pretty much have my dream bass.

Here's how the regular real Jerry Jones Longhorn, that I once owened, but was stupid enough to part with looked, 24 frets, 16,6mm string spacing, 14,5" fretboard radius (not my bass on the picture though, just a random google one):

Jerry_Jones_Neptune_Longhorn_bass.jpg&ke

Β 

Here are the specs:Β http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/longhorn-bass4.html

Β 

Though I love this body shape as well:Β 

esp-lf204blks_1.jpg

Β 

And the B.C Rich headstock shape:

409px-BCRichWarlockheadstock.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Can I be a party pooper and say that every bass is a sum of it's parts and although I have some that had elements that I wouldn't normally choose, together as an instrument they sounded amazing and vice versa - I'm sure if I took everything I like about basses I have had so far and put them into one bass it wouldn'tΒ be any good!

WIth that said:

Pickups near the back

Flat necks

Graphite

Caramelised old maple necks

• 1 month later...
On 07/09/2020 at 19:05, stewblack said:

What's the best bit about a bass? What fills you with joy when you look at or pick up a favourite instrument?Β 

Or even a less favoured four string friend that might have one feature that makes you smile.Β 

My Bruce Thomas Profile makes me so happy every single time I pick it up. It feels as though the God of bass looked down upon me one day and said: This man deserves a bass which fitteth him so well verily it is as if it groweth from his body and he shall not feel its weight nor shall he suffereth from the slightest dive of the neck. It shall always be in tune never need fiddling to achieve the right action and his hands shall glide up and down its neck without even friction, thus shall it be. Oh and Bruce Thomas himself who sitteth at my right hand as a noble Prince of bass shall haveth a hand in the design and making of the bassΒ  And Stew looked at what the God of bass had created and he saw it was good.Β 

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Bruce Thomas and they’ve set it up with BC flats for me. NBD Monday - can’t wait after all the great reviews. I’ve seen some videos and it sounds and looks great

22 minutes ago, Duroc17 said:

I’ve just pulled the trigger on a Bruce Thomas and they’ve set it up with BC flats for me. NBD Monday - can’t wait after all the great reviews. I’ve seen some videos and it sounds and looks great

Welcome to the gang! I hope you love it as much as I do.Β 

• Like 1