Why become a member? ร—

What Do You Love ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜

stewblack

What's the best bit about a bass? What fills you with joy when you look at or pick up a favourite instrument?ย 

Or even a less favoured four string friend that might have one feature that makes you smile.ย 

My Bruce Thomas Profile makes me so happy every single time I pick it up. It feels as though the God of bass looked down upon me one day and said: This man deserves a bass which fitteth him so well verily it is as if it groweth from his body and he shall not feel its weight nor shall he suffereth from the slightest dive of the neck. It shall always be in tune never need fiddling to achieve the right action and his hands shall glide up and down its neck without even friction, thus shall it be. Oh and Bruce Thomas himself who sitteth at my right hand as a noble Prince of bass shall haveth a hand in the design and making of the bassย  And Stew looked at what the God of bass had created and he saw it was good.ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mid frequency sweep controls. Excellent for dialling in a good variety of tones.

Humbuckers with coil taps. Other than the cost of the wires and switches, why would you not do it. Kudos to Musicman for the Ray 5. That's how it's done.

Strap buttons that stay tight. It can be done! I have a bass that hasn't had them tightened since '96 (and it's not a Warwick with the recessed fittings!)

Single coils that don't hum.ย 

Good fit and finish. I like anything that's been manufactured, finished and assembled with care and attention. Then subjected to good QC. Just to make sure.ย 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

12 hours ago, stewblack said:

My Bruce Thomas Profile makes me so happy every single time I pick it up. It feels as though the God of bass looked down upon me one day and said: This man deserves a bass which fitteth him so well verily it is as if it groweth from his body and he shall not feel its weight nor shall he suffereth from the slightest dive of the neck. It shall always be in tune never need fiddling to achieve the right action and his hands shall glide up and down its neck without even friction, thus shall it be. Oh and Bruce Thomas himself who sitteth at my right hand as a noble Prince of bass shall haveth a hand in the design and making of the bassย  And Stew looked at what the God of bass had created and he saw it was good.ย 

And the god of bass spake, and did say that the number of strings shall be four, and they shall not be three, nor shall they be any number greater than four, but four shall be their number.

Edited by songofthewind
  • Haha 4

I don't know what it is, but as soon as I pick up a bass I either go "Oooh" or "Ughh". When I "try" to get "used to it" it never works. Except for the Stick. With that, it's more,ย "I can't play this thing, my fingers are hitting theย wrong strings and making ugly noises, but it's ME, this thing is GREAT." Now it feels "right" in my hands, as soon as I pick it up. (But my fingers still hit the wrong strings, and funny noises still come out...)