Why become a member? ×

Interparcel - A Reminder

stewblack

I shipped a guitar recently in an old hard case, which was wrapped in bubble wrap, then a piece of hardboard one side and some thin ply the other, all in a cardboard box. Why? Because if you read the Ts&Cs (for TNT and UPS for sure and I'm sure others are the same) you can pay for insurance for as much as you like but the most they will pay for damage is £100. There have been topics on here about it I'm sure where people have find that out after something was damaged. How they get to even sell it as insurance I've no idea.

16 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

Because if you read the Ts&Cs (for TNT and UPS for sure and I'm sure others are the same) you can pay for insurance for as much as you like but the most they will pay for damage is £100. 

That's not true, I've successfully claimed for way more than that from UPS

EDIT

I guess they might have changed their T&Cs since then however. If that's true, there's simply no point in paying for insurance?

Edited by Beedster

10 hours ago, Beedster said:

That's not true, I've successfully claimed for way more than that from UPS

EDIT

I guess they might have changed their T&Cs since then however. If that's true, there's simply no point in paying for insurance?

TNT, who I used in the end, were definitely the full insured amount if they lose it, £100 for damage. I don't think that was related to the insured amount (it was a £4000 guitar, not a £1000s one), I think it was standard Ts & Cs.

I can't find the topic I read on BC about the other carrier that was the same, from memory it was Parcelforce but there are too many threads about parcels (none good either).

I'm pretty sure UPS was the other one I checked before I sent the guitar, and that it was the same as TNT, but I'd have to check again to be sure. I assumed it was a move across the industry and that's why they were the same.  It was fairly recently.

EDIT I'm happy if I'm wrong about it as it did seem crazy.

Edited by adamg67