Why become a member? ×

Interparcel - A Reminder

stewblack

I have always used Interparcel and never had a problem, despite the wide range of different couriers they work with. 

The price is way better than the Post Office (even when it's Parcelforce making the delivery) and you don't need to leave the house - they come to you! 

However, I forgot the small print and didn't put a layer of card on the outside of my last parcel. Why? The bass was in a case and so better protected than any cardboard box. I also wrapped it in clingfilm so it wouldn't spring open. 

But, this breaches their rules. A fair cop. I had an invoice for ove ten quid as a punishment, with the chance to appeal. I did this explaining that I had secured the instrument in a case and it was a simple mistake. 

No dice. Cough up or else. 

I'm torn. It was my fault, a clear breach of Ts&Cs so I can have no complaints 

On the other hand I had already sold the bass at a 40 quid loss, nor had I charged the full amount for delivery. So another tenner hurts. 

I think it's a risky strategy to fine a regular customer for his first mistake though. A warning and 'we're not going to charge you this time' would have endeared me to the company, and deepened my loyalty.

I have stated it was my fault so no need to remind me, I really just want to make sure others don't fall foul of this. 

• Like 2

I had a a package delivered a while back and the driver said it had been repacked at the depot. He said they’d normally charge the seller, not sure if that happened. Frankly I think it’s pretty decent of them as long as it’s not abused. I get Stew’s point though 

I must admit I would always put the whole thing with the case in cardboard to protect the case from getting scratched or the clamps being ripped off. I would view it as too much of a challenge for a courier otherwise if they knew it was a hard case!

DPD certainly insist on it being in cardboard.

• Like 1

I assume they’ve had to cough up to the courier? Or is it just a fine for being naughty? I believe the Ts and cs indicate all instruments need to be in a hard case and in a box. UPS certainly insist on it in their (very hard to find) rules. All these sellers offering courier with only a gig bag are asking for trouble, even if it is well-packaged.
Their list of items they won’t carry/insure is so long it would be shorter to say what is permitted!

If you wanted to be snotty you could ask them how they spend the 10 quid. Do they re pack it or go to any extra effort or do they just look at it, sigh, then tell Gina in accounts to send you a fine letter and it gets posted as you had packed it? You'd get a cow poop reply but it would allow you some small sense of moral victory. 

Or you could write saying its my first offence guv, didn't know the rules, have sent loads with you without a problem. That way you might get let off, you might not, but if you don't ask you don't get. I've got round a few parking tickets that way, not 100% of the time though! 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm actually glad they delivered it and then sorted it out with me.

Better that way round certainly.

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

But as I said it was my mistake, no arguments I ticked a box saying I'd read the terms and condish, it just stung a bit. 

Shipping is never a fun thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

All these sellers offering courier with only a gig bag are asking for trouble, even if it is well-packaged.
Their list of items they won’t carry/insure is so long it would be shorter to say what is permitted!

A guitar or bass in a decent padded gig bag, and then properly boxed should be no more vulnerable than in a good hard case. 

And have a good read of the excluded items. One of them is magnets. That technically excludes every piece of electric musical equipment.

Just now, BigRedX said:

And have a good read of the excluded items. One of them is magnets. That technically excludes every piece of electric musical equipment.

Yep, and glass, which excludes tube amps, or at least, it precludes claiming for broken tubes, which if it's an SVT, can be a hefty cost. See what I did there :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

A guitar or bass in a decent padded gig bag, and then properly boxed should be no more vulnerable than in a good hard case. 

I suspect you might overestimate the level of care BRX. I've done it, but only with a high level of anxiety :)

13 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It’s not about whether it’s better-protected, but whether it’ll be covered (sorry, terrible pun) in the event of damage or loss. This is why it is foolish to assume the shipping risk as a buyer, unless you insist that all terms and conditions are complied with and/or you are happy to take the risk that you may lose your money.

13 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

It’s not about whether it’s better-protected, but whether it’ll be covered (sorry, terrible pun) in the event of damage or loss. This is why it is foolish to assume the shipping risk as a buyer, unless you insist that all terms and conditions are complied with and/or you are happy to take the risk that you may lose your money.

I’ve never been all that impressed by people who offer to courier items, making it a lot easier to sell for a good price, and then indicate that the risk is the buyer’s. I see the logic, courier as proxy for collection in person in which case (excuse another pun) it’s the buyer’s property as soon as it leaves the front door, I just don’t really think it good practice 

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I’ve never been all that impressed by people who offer to courier items, making it a lot easier to sell for a good price, and then indicate that the risk is the buyer’s. I see the logic, courier as proxy for collection in person in which case (excuse another pun) it’s the buyer’s property as soon as it leaves the front door, I just don’t really think it good practice 

Respectfully as always ...

I've recently done this. Advertised an amp for local collection or said I'd be happy to package it up for the buyer's courier. As I see it, this makes it available to someone at the other end of the country and makes it the buyer's decision about what to do. No one's arm is being twisted and ownership of the costs, responsibility and risks of shipping are very clear. I can't see how that is bad practice to be honest.

I think maybe the difference is between  the seller offering to play ball with the buyer's courier (which is what I did recently) and the seller organising a courier but  insisting that the risk is on the buyer. Is that what you mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funkydoug said:

Respectfully as always ...

I've recently done this. Advertised an amp for local collection or said I'd be happy to package it up for the buyer's courier. As I see it, this makes it available to someone at the other end of the country and makes it the buyer's decision about what to do. No one's arm is being twisted and ownership of the costs, responsibility and risks of shipping are very clear. I can't see how that is bad practice to be honest.

I think maybe the difference is between  the seller offering to play ball with the buyer's courier (which is what I did recently) and the seller organising a courier but  insisting that the risk is on the buyer. Is that what you mean?

Nice post, thanks. Yes, the difference in the final line in your post is what I was referring to, especially when the item isn't available for collection in person. I've on occasion twisted the arm of a seller to allow me to send a courier to collect for an item they didn't intend to post, and there is a big difference as you suggest :)

• Thanks 1

As a seller I always take responsibility for the packing and selection of the courier. I am also happy to ship a bass or guitar in either a gig bag or a hard case because the outer packing and padding will take the brunt of any mis-handling. IME, anything that will damage an instrument in a gig bag will do the same to one in anything else less than a full custom-fitted flight case.