Why become a member? ×

Used prices of heavy amp heads

fretmeister

On 08/09/2020 at 18:42, StickyDBRmf said:

I remember as a "kid" picking up a SVT and saying I can't believe how heavy that is. I'm sort-of shopping for "something" in the stores and I pick it up to appraise it. (Mostly combos). I want to add I am now 62 and have back problems. I saw a SVT@ Guitar Center and wanted to see if memory was valid. (Up until last year I was still cooking for a caterer and could pick up a 50# bag of potatoes. I swear I thought the SVT was bolted to the floor. REALLY. I tried it again because I couldn't believe it - this time it moved, but SHEESH.

They really are stupid heavy. I love valve heads but I wont get anything over 20kg. I think that's my limit, even then I had to carry my CTM-100 down 2 streets due to parking constraints and I felt like my arms were about to fall off.   

8 hours ago, adamg67 said:

There are more and more people not even bothering with a traditional bass amp now and going for some kind of fly rig into PA or IEMs. Obviously that's been an option for a long time but there's a much bigger choice now and it includes plenty of things that sound as good as a room full of big old amp heads (one at a time, not all at once :) ). If you need to be loud in the room just use a PA speaker or other clean / FRFR setup to amplify the tone you have.

Presumably that trend is gradually reducing the demand for all kinds of bass amps.

It's slow but inexorable. I've got a guitarist in my hard rock band who's really old school: no ear plugs, nothing in the wedge apart from vocals, too much stage volume, the works. In the 9 years we've been in a band he's gone Marshall DSL50 with 412 > Vox AC30 > AC15 > Vox MV50 with a 112 > MV50 DI with no stage cab. If he's downsizing others are for sure. 

• Like 1

I'm still using heavy old amps after trying a bunch of lightweight ones and not liking them.
Only the cab is now light (Barefaced Big Twin II gen 3)

Playing with IEM's does not inspire me to rock out at all. Rock & Roll just needs to be loud and sweaty.
So to each his own I guess, My basses sound better through a real rig.

• Like 2

On 07/09/2020 at 00:04, peteb said:

If you put them in a lightweight rack it is still an easy one hand lift, so why the obsession with making everything unnecessarily light?

As someone who cannot now lift anything remotely heavy, it means I can still play.

I do like me some valves, though. Trained in electronics on thermionics!

• Like 1