Why become a member? ×

Pre pedal advice please

spencer.b

I've got a regular gig and I have to go through the PA , used to be upright but now with distancing in mind the management want electric so I've been using a jazz bass, it sounds a bit zingy and thin through straight into a DI box so wondered what people reckoned about a pre pedal to beef it up ?

First thing I would ask on this is are you wanting to keep the core tone of the bass, or add in flavour. If the former I’d look at MXR, be it M80 or M81, from my experience their preamp DIs retain their core sound of the bass. If wanting to add flavour I’d look at Tech21 Sansamp, be it Bass Driver, Para Driver or VTDI, all are great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Interesting, although you say you are using the bridge pickup, which can be bass-shy. You may be able to liase with whomever is at the desk to shape the sound a bit, especially if you have a separate monitor mix, but as MacDaddy says, the BDi21 is a great start for very littĺe outlay if you prefer to shape the sound on the way in. I'd also recommend the acoustic DI (ADi21?), which has a more balanced basic voice and a semi-parametric mid control to boot. The blendable valve sim can get rather harsh in my experience, but despite the name, it is a good bass DI.

Thanks for that , I'll check the acoustic one too , couldn't believe the prices

Unfortunately getting it eq'd on the desk isn't an option , it's a super (s)wanky place and the soundman is a bit stressy and clueless and insists the mix is sorted and he'll take care of it when he wanders around with an ipad , for this reason I brought my mesa d800 to use as a pre and he said no you can't use amp , I said I haven't got a cab just using it as a pre but he didn't understand and said no you can't you use an amp!! I'm not gonna fight it as apart from that it's a good gig,  great musicians , decent money etc so pick your battles and all that 

Know what you mean about the bridge pick up on jazzes , I have a fair bit of neck in there as well and it's the most balanced jazz I've had