Why become a member? ×

Genuine recognition of Ernie Ball's

Tony Ruckledge

Hi there, I've just bought an Ernie Ball 4.  After bringing it home and cleaning, changing the strings from the previous owner, it just doesn't seem to feel right.  The neck feels genuine but the body seems lightweight and not quite what I would expect from an expensive Bass, are all later made Ernie Ball's of lighter weight body materials.  Any advice would be welcome, thank you...

20200904_205716.jpg

2 hours ago, Tony Ruckledge said:

The neck feels genuine but the body seems lightweight and not quite what I would expect from an expensive Bass, are all later made Ernie Ball's of lighter weight body materials.  Any advice would be welcome, thank you...

Funny, I would view it the other way round. I would expect an expensive bass to be lightweight and a cheap bass to be heavy. I don't know about stingrays though. My expensive basses are the swamp ash ones, my harley benton was the heaviest bass I had!

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Funny, I would view it the other way round. I would expect an expensive bass to be lightweight and a cheap bass to be heavy. I don't know about stingrays though. My expensive basses are the swamp ash ones, my harley benton was the heaviest bass I had!

I think I get the comments, we all like a light bass, but a body that's too light can really stand out on a quality bass, just feels wrong

• Thanks 1

Looks genuine to me, as said above, it looks like you got lucky and got a light one.  All but one of the Stingrays I've had have been above 9lb bar an early 2000s Fretless I once had, (like yours in a trans finish) which was about 8.5lbs.  I'd hang on to that one if I were you.

Edited by martthebass
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2020 at 13:30, Woodinblack said:

I really don’t get this weight/quality thing. Ritter’s are very lightweight. Alembic’s aren’t. Both are quality in my book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I really don’t get this weight/quality thing. Ritter’s are very lightweight. Alembic’s aren’t. Both are quality in my book.

Obviously the weight doesn't equal quality, but I know on the few occasions i have specified the wood in a bass, the lighter ones were more expensive.

• Thanks 1

On 06/09/2020 at 13:30, Woodinblack said:

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Obviously the weight doesn't equal quality, but I know on the few occasions i have specified the wood in a bass, the lighter ones were more expensive.

OK, I should have said expensive 🙄

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

PS having said the above, I have to admit that I prefer heavy basses, no idea why, they just seem to have, well, more.......

Ooh, is this a fill in the blank type quiz?

Allow me to be the first to say ‘heft’ 😂

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker