Why become a member? ×

Random projects

Nothingman

Have you ever ended up working on a really random project?

When I came out of bass retirement  my new band turned up at our friends studio for our first (or maybe second) practice. 

He was working on something and wanted us to add backing/gang vocals for it. 

We obliged.

Turns out it was a Rick Parfitt tribute song By CJ Wildheart and ended up at number 2 on the physical single releases that Christmas. Better that Ricks collaboration  with Rolf! 

Bizarre

Secondly, I was interviewed by a producer from the Big British Castle, last year. 

When I was on Twitter I spoke openly about mental health and how the M1 was a bad trigger for me. 

So, to mark the 60th anniversary of the M1, the BBC created a documentary about it for radio 3. This involved a piece of music by the BBC philharmonic with interviews of M1 commuters spliced into it. I am one of those people. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009qyz

it wax broadcast a year ago, but this is the first time I’ve listened to it.

Another utterly bizarre situation.

Have any BCers ended up on random projects they never expected? 

Edit: yes, no bass content! 😫

Edited by Nothingman

This is the nearest I got........

I am a member of a facebook group for 'obscure and offbeat' music and someone posted asking for contributions to a kind of tribute album to Kimya Dawson.

Kimya is not well known, but did the soundtrack to the film Juno and was one half of 'anti-folk' band The Moldy Peaches.

Started off well... I was allocated the song I requested (Tyre Swing). I duly recorded the track, with multiple parts (including bass guitar!) and submitted the soundcloud link.

Then never heard anything again☹️.

But it was nice to be working towards commission for once.... normally I am working on songs just for myself. And I've still got the song😃.

• Like 1