Why become a member? ×

John Cage: Crowds flock to hear song change chord for first time in seven years

musicbassman

Possibly the witless and superficial BBC report fails to convey the nature of the composition, the project, the site, the rationale, the technical construction, the historical semiotics, the aesthetic precepts, the metaphysical allusions, or the implications for numerous modes of ambient or experimental music.

I went to a gig once. Won't do that again. Eight quid spent, and it was over in no time with nothing to show for it. What a con.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Horses for courses. I once went to see Tangerine Dream 'live', I rest my case :)

By which I meant that I could have stayed at home for a far better musical and theatrical experience, as it was was nothing more than a bunch of blokes standing at keyboards; at least Kraftwerk had the decency and creativity to put on a show (although I have to say they were a little robotic). But I guess the thing is, for the TD fans, it was about being there, I didn't get that, but my mates did, for them being with like-minded folks in the same place at the same time sharing the event was the point, not the music or the performance, a bit like church or sport for many. Plenty of folks still go to watch Gillingham play football for much the same reason. 

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Horses for courses. I once went to see Tangerine Dream 'live', I rest my case :)

I got persuaded to go and see Van Der Graaf Generator by a good friend (?): "Come on, I think you'll like it, they're great live, trust me, I've got a spare ticket (wonder why)" a (good) few years ago at The Barbican . I actually fell asleep at one point.

3 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

I got persuaded to go and see Van Der Graaf Generator by a good friend (?): "Come on, I think you'll like it, they're great live, trust me, I've got a spare ticket (wonder why)" a (good) few years ago at The Barbican . I actually fell asleep at one point.

Three clues for future reference Phil. First the spare ticket which you picked up on. Second "I think you'll like it". Third, The Barbican. 

I won't even mention the fact that the band was named after a physics thing

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LeftyJ said:

Imagine changing chords for the first time in years, and not changing the notes simultaneously! There must be some music nerd in that room thinking "This band sucks!" 

We had a rhythm guitarist with a similar approach, although he was so swamped in reverb no-one really noticed. 

Why was he in the band I hear you ask?

He had a van :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oxnard Montalvo said:

That’s kinda the point in this case. It’s not due to end for 400-odd years.

Yes, maybe I should have added the word ‘literally’.

Imagine how big the Super Deluxe Boxed Set will be 😂.

I would rather listen to ‘Sleepify’ by Vulfpeck.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepify

• Haha 2