Why become a member? ×

A good bass into a good amp. Nothing else needed IMO!

dave74200

Might rattle a few cages here, but we're all adult!!

I'm just wondering why I see so many people use so many effects but then describe a great, pure tone as boring? I had an SVT 2 Pro, got fed up of lugging it about and now own a 3 pro and a 7 pro. When played alone, I admit they don't set the world on fire, but in a band situation they are both perfect. They cut through the mix and sound amazing, provide an almost perfect tone that the audience will feel and hear. I often compare it to guitar players who have the insane setting on their Line 6 Spider, sounding like Slipknot in their bedroom. Take that to a live situation and it'll sound comedic!

Like I say, I know people will disagree, but I've watched bands where the bass player has a modern amp, a bass with 4 pickups and a pedal board full to the brim, and I can't hear them. I know that either of my SVT Pro amps, with a P bass or Stingray will slay them in every department, but still I seem to be in the minority!! I'm saying IMO with modesty, but really believe it to be fact!!

Perhaps it's me!!!!!

Edited by dave74200
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

Might rattle a few cages here, but we're all adult!!

I'm just wondering why I see so many people use so many effects but then describe a great, pure tone as boring? I had an SVT 2 Pro, got fed up of lugging it about and now own a 3 pro and a 7 pro. When played alone, I admit they don't set the world on fire, but in a band situation they are both perfect. They cut through the mix and sound amazing, provide an almost perfect tone that the audience will feel and hear. I often compare it to guitar players who have the insane setting on their Line 6 Spider, sounding like Slipknot in their bedroom. Take that to a live situation and it'll sound comedic!

Like I say, I know people will disagree, but I've watched bands where the bass player has a modern amp, a bass with 4 pickups and a pedal board full to the brim, and I can't hear them. I know that either of my SVT Pro amps, with a P bass or Stingray will slay them in every department, but still I seem to be in the minority!! I'm saying IMO with modesty, but really believe it to be fact!!

Perhaps it's me!!!!!

What car do you drive Dave? 

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

Just wondering if you could get by with less, whether you might just enjoy having more than you need? 

I'm not sure I follow you here, but if you're asking if I'd like effects then the answer is no. The only one I have ever liked is the VT bass. I don't see the point in adding things that distract from the aim - of having a good, clear and powerful tone.

Sorry, I don't live on here. Do you have anything useful to add?

If you like.

You are right for you.

Everyone else is right for them.

There are many bass parts written specifically with selected FX. "Hysteria" for example. Play that with a P and an SVT but without the swirly bits and it won't sound right.

Every person who has started a thread like this has been myopic and only considered what they like to play and their own set list and not the needs of other players or even what the composer of the tune wanted. These threads are always worded like a "MY SOUND IS BEST" approach (or like you did claim your opinion about a subjective matter of taste is "fact") rather than an entirely reasonable "My favourite sound is..."

Is a P and the SVT a fantastic bass sound? Yes.

Will it "slay" every other sound in "every department" - of course not. That's beyond silly.

• Like 2

I'm not sure I follow you here, but if you're asking if I'd like effects then the answer is no. The only one I have ever liked is the VT bass. I don't see the point in adding things that distract from the aim - of having a good, clear and powerful tone.

What if your aim is not to have a clear tone?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave74200 said:

So that's just your choice and style, simple as that. It happens to be mine also, but are you suggesting in starting this thread that your style and your perception of what a bass should sound like should be shared by everyone? 

And not being able to hear a bass player is not a function of effects, the modernity of the bass or the number of pickups, it's EQ, band volume, room, crowd size, style of music, all sorts of stuff.Trust me, I could very easily make your Ampeg with either of your basses disappear in the mix :)

• Like 3

Just now, fretmeister said:

If you like.

You are right for you.

Everyone else is right for them.

There are many bass parts written specifically with selected FX. "Hysteria" for example. Play that with a P and an SVT but without the swirly bits and it won't sound right.

Every person who has started a thread like this has been myopic and only considered what they like to play and their own set list and not the needs of other players or even what the composer of the tune wanted. These threads are always worded like a "MY SOUND IS BEST" approach (or like you did claim your opinion about a subjective matter of taste is "fact") rather than an entirely reasonable "My favourite sound is..."

Is a P and the SVT a fantastic bass sound? Yes.

Will it "slay" every other sound in "every department" - of course not. That's beyond silly.

Why is it then that I've seen lots of bands and can't even hear the notes that the bass player is playing cos their tone is so muddy and processed? Do they have a great tone, but just different to the one I like?

Just now, dave74200 said:

Why is it then that I've seen lots of bands and can't even hear the notes that the bass player is playing cos their tone is so muddy and processed? Do they have a great tone, but just different to the one I like?

Because the sound check wasn't done? Because there's an incompetent on the mixer?

If you can't hear the bass then you can't comment on the tone. You can't hear it!

You can only comment that the mix is bad.

How do you know whether it's "processed" if you 1) can't hear it, and 2) can't see the signal path?

Pedals on the ground doesn't mean they are all in use. Sometimes they are used for little embellishments.

• Like 2

Just now, dave74200 said:

So a bass tone that you can't decipher the notes of is ok?

Why do we need to decipher notes? Are we in a lab? There's some great music where the bass is pretty much mud, but the track is outstanding. In my opinion of course. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dave74200 said:

So a bass tone that you can't decipher the notes of is ok?

Actually that's a very good point.

What if the composer likes that tone? Did he write the music for him or for you?

Just because an audience member doesn't like the tone doesn't mean the composer / bassist does't like it.

• Like 2

Well done boys. You win, I lose! But behind all your sarcasm, I do feel the lady doth protest too much. Perhaps you’re the bass players I’m referring to, with a tone nobody can hear! What do I know eh?! What I don’t like is the pathetic bully boy attitude shown by some on here. Sorry to intrude into your know it all virtual world.

Edited by dave74200
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

Well done boys. You win, I lose! But behind all your sarcasm, I do feel the lady doth protest too much. Perhaps you’re the bass players I’m referring to, with a tone nobody can hear! What do I know eh?! What I don’t like is the pathetic bully boy attitude shown by some on here. Sorry to intrude into your know it all virtual world.

Well I mean you’re the one who came and said everyone but you is wrong!

I like effects. I like a clean sound. Want both? Just tap ‘off’ on your pedals!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, dave74200 said:

Well Dave, I play a passive Precision into anSVT-II and a Barefaced 2x12, and it works for me. But I’m very happy that what other folks do works for them. You clearly aren’t. That’s fine. 

• Like 1

@dave74200 you are not alone, I often find that when I hear a bassists tone that I really like it’s usually bass/amp, possibly a compressor but that’s it.

Similarly I often find that said tone that I like will usually sound a bit meh and insipid on its own, but work so well in the mix.

• Like 4

Currently, after years of being pedals into amps, simulators into amps etc, I'm a strictly bass - amp - cab player.

No doubt I'll go round the merry go round again, but at the moment simplicity wins. Never sounded better....but I say that whatever set up I use!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

@dave74200 you are not alone, I often find that when I hear a bassists tone that I really like it’s usually bass/amp, possibly a compressor but that’s it.

Similarly I often find that said tone that I like will usually sound a bit meh and insipid on its own, but work so well in the mix.

I don’t think anyone said it’s not a great solution, but the O/P suggested it was the only solution. I love my simple rig, but I also love RHCP. I can’t imagine a Flea without a lot of FX, but he still cuts through the mix? 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2