Why become a member? ×

Suggest a bass for my 11yo beginner son... ?

timmyo

So we were all set to order a black/tortie Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz and it seems there are none to be had until “late sep/early oct” (and I’ve been down that moving-delivery-date-rabbit-hole before, and he’s decided he doesn’t like the other colours lol - so looing around for something of similar quality/price (used is also fine) - needs to be something that is actually in stock - not “available to order” shenanigans. 

I’m leaning to Jazz-style (I have a CV Precision already so be nice to have something different style in the family) 

I noticed the Yamaha BB234 from Bass Direct - PJ - any good ? 

What would be catching your eye if this were your son?

thanks 

6 minutes ago, timmyo said:

cheers - looks like that one is a 3month+ order - I nosed around a bit and all the mdoels I looked at needed to be preordered - appreciate the pointer though - will keep an eye out 

Thing is with the Sires that they are such good quality it might be the only bass he’ll need until he’s my age!

Because he's only 11, I'd look at something short scale. It can be tough to reach the low F on a standard Jazz Bass for some kids. I've had a couple of young students who have had Squier Jaguars, and they were decent. The short scale Ibanez Talman is cool and really inexpensive, and would probably be my choice. He can always move up to a full size bass in a couple of years, if he takes to it.

• Like 1

I recently tried a shorty from Dv247. 

Been spoiled by Thomann who always set up their basses. This will need a bit of work to make it playable, and I am not very fussy. 

Quite off putting for a beginner because it is so hard to get a good sound out of it. 

If you're confident in setting up and restringing then the bass itself is a good size and very light. Oh and very affordable. 

Quality on budget basses is so high these days it might be easier to ask if there's any brands that should be avoided.

The only one I can remember people not being too impressed by in recent years was Stagg and that's going back a bit , but others might have more recent 'steer clear' tips.

With regards to Squier and Sire being out of stock, I've noticed during my browsing that there seem to a lot more basses and guitars that are listed as being 'out of stock' or 'available for order' at the big online dealers than would normally be the case.

It's almost certainly down to disruption of the production and supply chains, especially in the far east, earlier this year and it might take a while for normal service to be resumed.

14 hours ago, timmyo said:

For anything in particular? (which is the thrust of the thread 😉 )

For something similar to what you're looking for. You should be able to find a Squier badged J bass on the second hand market, in Good condition, for a fraction of what you were thinking of spending on a new one.

Saying that, you could also have a look out for a Vintage brand J bass, which get very good recommendations from people as not only being well made, solid instruments, but damn fine players too.

Get a decent bass, and save yourself a few quid too.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-VJ74-Reissued-Bass-MN-Sunset-Sunburst/2EYN

Edited by Skybone

I would definitely be looking at the ibanez talman range, there are black versions available, either the tmb30 if you want shortscale or the tmb100 if you want full scale, they are very popular and not too difficult to find in shops. Very good instruments at bargain prices. 

Matt

What would inspire him to play? Who does he want to pretend to be?

My son's first 'proper' guitar (at age 11) had a passing resemblance to a red special - he was a big Queen/Brian May fan. Things took off from that point - he's currently studying music technology at uni.

6 hours ago, Heathy said:

What would inspire him to play? Who does he want to pretend to be?

My son's first 'proper' guitar (at age 11) had a passing resemblance to a red special - he was a big Queen/Brian May fan. Things took off from that point - he's currently studying music technology at uni.

Aye in this - he doesn’t really have any specific bands or artists at this point that he’s imprinted on (but he does have lovely taste in music - and diverse)

initially when we talked about it he was all “yeah anything is good” but the last couple of days he’s started to express a preference here and there and do his own nosing around and I’m keen to go as much as possible with any preferences he has for loosely those reasons - harness any preferences to maximise the initial interest 

To hmthat end he’s decided he likes the look of the Yam BB234 in natural, so I may ring Bass Direct tomorrow and what they can do on a bundle with one 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, P-Belly Evans said:

Isn't there an Ibanez Micro for £100 in the sale section? 

The Mikros are excellent value for money. We got my (then) 9 year old daughter one when she was starting out. Tuners are not the highest quality but functional. Otherwise I was really impressed.

She's now 12 and still playing it.