Why become a member? ×

Why is the "Fender TV Logo" called the "Fender TV Logo"?

cloudburst

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

As below, really... B|

'Make The Logo Bigger'...

The logo was changed on all of the instruments so it was bigger and could be read more easily by people watching on television screens than the previous versions (especially the model name, which was in very small font) - so basically for advertising reasons. The Strat headstock was enlarged to achieve this. 

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

As below, really... B|

'Make The Logo Bigger'...

That link is excellent, thanks for that...

One of the things I couldn’t ever quite get my head around was the whole custom colour thing. I’d read a number of articles over the years that referenced the Fender 60s colours being the same as used in the US automobile industry at the time.

Thought there may have been a grain of truth in it but felt it was probably more ‘Fender myth’ than anything, as I could never imagine/picture a Burgundy Mist or Sonic Blue car... until now!

It has genuinely bugged me for years!! 

• Thanks 1

It’s not crazy at all: car culture was huge in the USA in 1950s, and articles such as this describe how Fender got on board.

image.jpeg.2b588db9b9f9dc379089f370452e3ce0.jpeg

Also: back when TV was black and white and studio lights were harsh, people had to wear yellowish makeup so that they would look white on TV, and Gibson produced guitars in what they called TV Yellow. It was a weird greenish yellow, but people grew to like it and they still use it sometimes on new guitars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, bnt said:

It’s not crazy at all: car culture was huge in the USA in 1950s, and articles such as this describe how Fender got on board.

image.jpeg.2b588db9b9f9dc379089f370452e3ce0.jpeg

Also: back when TV was black and white and studio lights were harsh, people had to wear yellowish makeup so that they would look white on TV, and Gibson produced guitars in what they called TV Yellow. It was a weird greenish yellow, but people grew to like it and they still use it sometimes on new guitars. 

Again, thanks for the link... really interesting (to me, anyhow!).