Why become a member? ×

Suggest a practice amp for my 11yo beginner son?

timmyo

Hi there - I’m a lapsed beginner player myself (ended up just an acoustic guitar player) but my son wants to learn bass. We have a teacher locally and obv I want to do the proud Dad thing and get him a practice amp - I may go for one practice amp and one headphone unit as he splits his time between my house and his Mums house) 

ideally I’d go used to start off- any suggestions as to what’s worth looking for? Fender Rumble? Other things decent value and quality? 

(I’ve got an old Classic Vibe P he can use, but toying with picking up a CV Jazz for him that’s easier on the hands size-wise - any thoughts on that?

thanks folks 

20 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Small Rumble combo worth considering. Is your son big enough not to struggle with 34" scale? If yes, the Classic Vibe sounds a decent starter bass for him. If not, I'd look for a shorter scale instrument. Something like a Squier Jaguar may do the trick.

He’s 5’4” - 11yo - big unit for his age 

49 minutes ago, timmyo said:

Hi there - I’m a lapsed beginner player myself (ended up just an acoustic guitar player) but my son wants to learn bass. We have a teacher locally and obv I want to do the proud Dad thing and get him a practice amp - I may go for one practice amp and one headphone unit as he splits his time between my house and his Mums house) 

ideally I’d go used to start off- any suggestions as to what’s worth looking for? Fender Rumble? Other things decent value and quality? 

(I’ve got an old Classic Vibe P he can use, but toying with picking up a CV Jazz for him that’s easier on the hands size-wise - any thoughts on that?

thanks folks 

CJ Jazz great suggestion. He'll be fine with 34 scale. 

Any practice amp with aux line in, and headphone out, will serve him well. Ashdown Tourbus 10w or 15w worth putting on your list. 

20 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Headphone amps... the little plug in things arnt great... i found out...

Fair few going down the Zoom Muliteffects with hesdphone out route...

That's what I do. I've got a Zoom B1on I use at home and that's all I use, I've not got an amp at all at the moment.