Why become a member? ×

Werewolves of London

Beedster

Thinking of a Halloween gig, and of course this is on the setlist. Took a listen last night to remind myself. What a flipping great song, it's got everything, don't think I'll ever tire of listening to it, the recent remix has a great bass line really high in the mix also (although couldn't find this YouTube so this isn't the version linked to below).

Listened to some of Zevon's other stuff last night also, his lyrics are outstanding. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Two completely different bass lines!

Prefer the first personally.

Agreed, I think the first works with the song, the second could be useful inspiration for a band that doesn't have a lot of time to rehearse new songs and might need to stretch a few out on the night :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevB said:

Very easy to segue into Sweet Home Alabama and that Kid Rock song if you're feeling adventurous for a party set😉

And, with a little creativity and a sober drummer, Sympathy for the Devil. The sobriety is however the key :)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Agreed, I think the first works with the song, the second could be useful inspiration for a band that doesn't have a lot of time to rehearse new songs and might need to stretch a few out on the night :)

I find things like this interesting, especially when some people think that covers have to be slavishly copied.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I find things like this interesting, especially when some people think that covers have to be slavishly copied.

Agreed, I just like to hear what other bass players have done to a song, there are too many bands who do just as you say, play it as per the (famous) recording.

No joke, I was briefly in a band in which the guitarist told me off for adding a passing note in Take It Easy. He was anal enough to listen to the track in a break in rehearsal and then play it to us to prove the note I’d played wasn’t in the original. I lasted one gig :)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Unless you’re a totally slavish, tribute band, adding your own embellishments is fine and what makes one a musician and should be encouraged IMO ( @Beedster’s a-hole guitar player needed a slap).  Even the lines played by any of the original players are often different live anyway. The TP & The Heartbreakers tribute I play in use live versions for our sets rather than the album version (sometimes causes confusion when we forget to coordinate source material 😂).

As to the WZ versions, I prefer the original line as it feels more ‘greasy’ and in keeping with the overall feel of the song (which I first heard in the soundtrack for The Colour of Money).

• Like 2

Ha ha, he did indeed need something :)

Over an above live versions being different, very often the line on the track itself is a completely chance event that might or might not have been the line the bassist had intended to play, the best line for the song etc. There's the 'I perfect and always play the same line' school versus the 'I don't think I've ever played the same line twice' school. I'd like to be in the former but have to admit membership of the latter. 

Re hearing WoL in a soundtrack, it's always seemed something of an oddity that it wasn't in An American Werewolf in London?

• Like 1

WZ wrestled with this song for ages, but was never happy with the feel. The alt. version above is one of those.

When Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had a go, it all fell into place and the rest is history. It's gloriously wonky, and hard to replicate.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the alt. version. It sounds half-baked, and to be fair, probably was.

Edited by wateroftyne

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Re hearing WoL in a soundtrack, it's always seemed something of an oddity that it wasn't in An American Werewolf in London?

Yes, a bit odd indeed. It did, however, appear in a great scene in 'The Color of Money' when Tom Cruise was doing some of his 'voodoo sh*t' at the pool table 😁

I've always loved that song. The rhythm guitar is great, as is the album it comes from, 'Excitable Boy'. Edit: as I now notice has shown up on every link above 🙄

Edited by pigface
Acknowledge the bleeding obvious ....

Familiar and like the song.. (listening... not playing!)...

Original / Remastered appears on a host of complilation albums.

I found the alt version a pleadure to hear, add lib vocals, seperaton between instuments, a live in the studio vibe... sounded like they were having fun to me, possibly sounding a little rushed, but natural...

Enjoyed that... will check out the album.

As people are mentioning approach. i prefer a cover, not a copy. playing to be enjoyed with a bit of your own understanding - what the feel funk vibe and drive means to you - for all musicians...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Apparently Fleetwood and McVie spent the whole night playing Werewolves only for the first version to chosen. They get their usual beautiful feel. 

Can’t help thinking they simply did Don’t Stop without the shuffle :)