Why become a member? ×

Used Spiros or Inno Silvers

TwoTimesBass

Hi folks,

Desperately need a new set of strings, but as I haven't changed them in the 8 years I've had the bass (and not enough experience of different strings) I'm not sure where to go. Logic suggests I just put Spiros on so i've got a benchmark feel for the bass with an industry standard string, but i think I've got a very old set of Innovation Honey's at the moment and i'm also interested in trying the Super Silvers or Silver Slaps based on nothing more than Youtube really.

Anyone got anything to trade so I can try some options before I buy? £50ish for a used but not knackered set of Spiro Light, Super Silver or Silver Slaps/Honeys etc? Happy to sell them back, posted with an extra £10 for your trouble if they don't work for me? Bass also needs to go in for a setup, but I'd like an idea of where i'm going string-wise before it goes to the menders and I commit to a new set.

I'm playing mostly folk/cajun/americana/early blues/light jazz, but slap-ablility isn't something I need, solid roots and fifths rather than soaring sustain if that makes sense.

Thanks guys, what you got?

Edited by TwoTimesBass
Better title - not another 'what string is best"!

I have a set of old (and probably a bit knackered) spiro weich you can have - if nothing else, you'll find out if you like the feel/tension or not.

PM me....

Personally I think it's always a good idea to try a set of Spiros at some point in your playing carreer, ther's a good reason why they're (probably) the most popular double bass string.  Plus, if you don't like tham, you'll always be able to sell them on.