Why become a member? ×

Gumtree woes

omikin

Found Facebook Marketplace great for selling lower value basses, sub £500. Had 4 listed on BC earlier this year that unfortunately weren't selling, all went in a week on FB, cash on collection, easy. Guess dependent on your location. 

BC continually great for higher value stuff, IME. 

Edited by Drax

I've bought and sold on Gumtree. No shortage of tyre kickers and low ballers but there are genuine traders there too. Navigating your way through these can be a bit of a pain.

Recently traded my Spector CODA there so deals can be done if you persevere.

There are time wasters and scammers everywhere - even here. Thankfully they are found out and excluded before they can do too much damage.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 17:20, jrixn1 said:

There's another scam with PayPal which goes like this:

1. Buyer genuinely pays with PayPal and collects the item in person.
  2. Buyer subsequently opens a dispute with PayPal claiming the item was not received.
  3. PayPal requests a proof of delivery from the seller. This cannot be produced (because it doesn't exist, because item was not sent through a postal service); PayPal sides with the buyer.

You made the correct move here: i.e. never use PayPal for a transaction made in person.

Ebay now provide the buyer with an IR barcode and collection number for listings with the option of collection in person. When the buyer collects the item, the seller can then either scan the IR barcode from the buyer's phone or just request the collection code to type in as confirmation that the item has been collected. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Painy said:

Ebay now provide the buyer with an IR barcode and collection number for listings with the option of collection in person. When the buyer collects the item, the seller can then either scan the IR barcode from the buyer's phone or just request the collection code to type in as confirmation that the item has been collected. 

Ooh that is interesting - how do you get that? Hadn't heard of that

46 minutes ago, Drax said:

In UK Gumtree's main revenue source is (was) recruitment ads. 

Not owned by Ebay any more either, they sold it July to Adevinta, a snip at $9bn... 

(They also got rid of super scammer site Stub Hub around same time, to the even worse Viagogo..) 

How the hell is Gumtree worth $9 bil?!

Unless that's including the other sites also...

Edited by ClassicVibes

I have successfully sold a bass on Gumtree fairly recently. I thought it was an out and out scam to begin with, as the buyer's emails looked so much like the usual scam wording. English wasn't his first language, which explained that. 

I asked for bank transfer, which was paid without fuss, got the address for delivery (which wasn't his home address), did a little light sleuthing to find he did actually work there, money landed, sent with a courier with full tracking and proof of delivery and went like a dream. 

So it does happen. 

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Ooh that is interesting - how do you get that? Hadn't heard of that

I bought a vacuum cleaner from ebay the week before last which was collection only. I think the email notification to say payment was due contained a link to the collection number. 

• Like 1

the Ebay code thing works well, the Paypal payment is held until the collector gives the seller the code which they then put into Ebay which then actions the dispatch and, delivered stages and frees the payment to the sellers account. I have bought 3 or 4 things off Ebay this way, and I haven't even collected them myself, I just made sure the person collecting on my behalf had the code to pass on and in one case I gave the seller the code over the phone while the pallet company were loading it onto their truck (it was a gearbox, rebuilding them is what I do); if you use the phone for everything then you can do it by QR codes which is pretty quick and automatic and difficult to fake. I don't know exactly how it works for cash on collection all my purchases have been paid for with Paypal. Ebay have clearly listened to some of the feedback that their regular surveys collect; I do find it odd that there is such a down on that platform on here, it seems to me too many people (not just on here it seems to be a universal attitude in this country) expect everything for free (nothing is free) and want that they should be able to buy cheap and sell high but no business should be able to cover their costs or make a profit to be able to invest in the future; you can see that attitude in the for sale section in the 'I want what I paid for it' line, why shouldn't you pay for ownership if you buy it and play it but sell it on for whatever reason, there should be a cost of ownership otherwise they aren't musical instruments (and related kit) they are just investment pieces owned for willy waving rights. 

14 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

I do find it odd that there is such a down on that platform on here

That's a joke , shirley  ?

Ebay  listening ?   About 100 years ago, they  stopped sellers being able to leave scumbag buyers a negative feedback.  Since then, there's been a multitude of scams that no seller can warn other sellers about.   People have moaned to Ebay for donkeys years about this and what have they done - sweet FA

• Like 2

Just received my second attempt at a Gumtree Paypal scam for the same bass!! This time they bypassed messaging me via Gumtree and WhatsApped me with the old 'I'll PayPal you the funds without trying out the bass, and then arrange a courier' chestnut. This is getting old! :facepalm: 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

Just received my second attempt at a Gumtree Paypal scam for the same bass!! This time they bypassed messaging me via Gumtree and WhatsApped me with the old 'I'll PayPal you the funds without trying out the bass, and then arrange a courier' chestnut. This is getting old! :facepalm: 

Well, its just like spam, it washes over you after a while and you won't even notice it, like brief look, delete, move onto the next one.

• Like 1