Why become a member? ×

John East P-Retro - never to be made again?

CameronJ

I’ve been looking for one of these for quite some time now to no avail. Emailed John East through his website and have had no reply...this was about a month ago now.

Has the P-Retro been discontinued forever? Seems like not even @skelf has them anymore for his builds. Say it ain’t so?

Strange as I emailed John East for a technical question about his piezo preamp about a month ago and like you didn't get any answer.

I'm a bit concerned about this as he answers very quickly most of the time.

Maybe @skelf could reassure us about John East ?

That said it looks like the P-Retro is out of production...

Last time I spoke to John - about three years back - he was having problems with securing the rechargeable battery pack that is required for the unit to retro fit a Precision. He mentioned that he could build a version of the circuit that would run on a normal 9v battery but that this would not simply drop into a Precision in the way the P-Retro did, so I don't think he sees this as a commercially viable option. I must admit that whilst I've always supported John's products and service on here, having emailed him several times over the last year following one of my P-Retros suddenly not working (doesn't work at all after probably not much more than a hundred hours of use), and having not received a reply to any emails, I feel a little let down 

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Strange as I emailed John East for a technical question about his piezo preamp about a month ago and like you didn't get any answer.

I'm a bit concerned about this as he answers very quickly most of the time.

Maybe @skelf could reassure us about John East ?

That said it looks like the P-Retro is out of production...

I first mailed John about my P-Retro about 18 months ago and received no reply even back then, and plenty of people appear to have bought from him since then so I assumed all was fine. Likewise however, I hope he's OK, he's a bloody nice bloke 

On 04/09/2020 at 11:30, Beedster said:

Last time I spoke to John - about three years back - he was having problems with securing the rechargeable battery pack that is required for the unit to retro fit a Precision. He mentioned that he could build a version of the circuit that would run on a normal 9v battery but that this would not simply drop into a Precision in the way the P-Retro did, so I don't think he sees this as a commercially viable option. I must admit that whilst I've always supported John's products and service on here, having emailed him several times over the last year following one of my P-Retros suddenly not working (doesn't work at all after probably not much more than a hundred hours of use), and having not received a reply to any emails, I feel a little let down 

Apologies for poor response, Chris, I can't find anything from you since we spoke in 2017 apart from the beginning of July, I can see I didn't respond to that, really sorry! It was a huge struggle during the lock-down. I was doing everything, failing to keep up by quite some margin, even working 10-12 hours a day, Monday to Saturday, major intent - staying in business.

(A lot of emails do seem to end up in the junk folder these days, mine as well as replies to enquiries and purchasers)

I'm sure I can take care of your P-Retro BTW.

As for the future of the P-Retro, I want to continue with it. We have lots on a wait list and I really like it as a product. The EQ circuit and circuit board design has been enhanced, we do have some stock of the audio circuits. The hold-up is the custom rechargeable system which required my time in terms of design and implementation. I've worked on several new schemes , settling on one that's compatible with the original but with a USB charger.

Another important factor is getting the systems made. Previously we made virtually all ourselves in the UK, not easily viable at this point so we're looking to outsource the manufacture. We started talking to a supplier at the beginning of the year but C-19 put things on hold, back on again now. There's also the investment in various custom components, such as the special pots and battery cells which isn't entirely trivial.

Another important point, before we put them out again, I wanted to ensure we have longevity of supply set up.

I'd always wanted to do something a bit special for the P Bass, very close to my heart!

Edited by John-E-Retro
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Jack said:

I'm not sure I'm on any kind of official wait list but I'm in as soon as you get it sorted. Major intent, keeping you in business.

And sounding awesome. 

Same here! @John-E-Retro, thanks for replying to this thread.

Great to know the P-Retro has a future and if there is a wait list I’d definitely like to be on it - I’d take at least one, maybe two for my Dingwall Super Ps!

8 hours ago, John-E-Retro said:

Apologies for poor response, Chris, I can't find anything from you since we spoke in 2017 apart from the beginning of July, I can see I didn't respond to that, really sorry! It was a huge struggle during the lock-down. I was doing everything, failing to keep up by quite some margin, even working 10-12 hours a day, Monday to Saturday, major intent - staying in business.

(A lot of emails do seem to end up in the junk folder these days, mine as well as replies to customers)

I'm sure I can take care of your P-Retro BTW.

As for the future of the P-Retro, I want to continue with it. We have lots on a wait list and I really like it as a product. The EQ circuit and circuit board design has been enhanced, we do have some stock of the audio circuits. The hold-up is the custom rechargeable system which required my time in terms of design and implementation. I've worked on several new schemes , settling on one that's compatible with the original but with a USB charger.

Another important factor is getting the systems made. Previously we made virtually all ourselves in the UK, not easily viable at this point so we're looking to outsource the manufacture. We started talking to a supplier at the beginning of the year but C-19 put things on hold, back on again now. There's also the investment in various custom components, such as the special pots and battery cells which isn't entirely trivial.

Another important point, before we put them out again, I wanted to ensure we have longevity of supply set up.

I'd always wanted to do something a bit special for the P Bass, very close to my heart!

Hi John

These things happen, thanks for joining the thread, and glad to hear you're doing OK and still busy. Yes, I would love to have my P-Retro fixed; stupidly I sold my spare P-Retro a while back, then bought a used unit to replace that once mine failed, but sold that on another bass. Mad journey! I don't use my Precision in active mode all that often, but it's a great thing to have for those days when you find you need to! Can I post it to you, I assume you're still at the same address? 

I should add in case I gave the wrong impression above that it's not a manufacturing fault, I'm pretty sure it's the result of my having installed it in a different bass, it stopped working a few weeks after that (and I've always struggled with the paper connection between the two stacks). 

Very pleased to hear that the unit is going to resurface, as I've said in several threads here and elsewhere - as have many other players - it's a perfect and elegant solution, very in keeping with the Precision ethos, simple (in function that is, I'm aware the engineering is slightly more complex) but perfect.

Cheers

Chris

It's a great bit of gear. I only have one Precision so I won't be needing another one, but I'm very happy with the one I've got. I'm also very happy that I can now see the LED thanks to my new Mike Walsh scratch plate. Only thing I'd say is that it would be useful to have that LED as a charge level indicator when the bass isn't on charge.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jack said:

I'm not sure I'm on any kind of official wait list but I'm in as soon as you get it sorted. Major intent, keeping you in business.

And sounding awesome. 

i've been waiting for one as well, if i start saving now i should have enough pennies when they become available (or possibly 2)

Matt

Edited by Matt P

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

i've been waiting for one as well, if i start saving now i should have enough pennies when they become available (or possibly 2)

Matt

You're close enough, we'll share one between us. Bloomin expensive they are :D

2 hours ago, Jack said:

You're close enough, we'll share one between us. Bloomin expensive they are :D

I think it would be for my letts 5 string so not actually a p-bass, but it's a passive bass and the p retro has always appealed to me

Matt 

On 08/09/2020 at 08:57, pete.young said:

It's a great bit of gear. I only have one Precision so I won't be needing another one, but I'm very happy with the one I've got. I'm also very happy that I can now see the LED thanks to my new Mike Walsh scratch plate. Only thing I'd say is that it would be useful to have that LED as a charge level indicator when the bass isn't on charge.

Neat idea, not immediately clear as to implementation, will have a think.

(The LED is part of the charger circuit, so would need to borrow it in some way)

• 2 weeks later...