Why become a member? ×

Harley Bentons new bass range! Heads, combos and cabs!

maidens97

It all looks well equipped. Coming from Thomann you get a 3 year warranty. However, as we leave the transition period and fully leave the EU as such on 1st Jan, I'd be a little concerned about how that effects us in the UK.

I looked at the cabs, not sure on the porting. The equivalent Ashdown seems to have a bit more. Anyway, I won't be buying one 😎😁

• Like 1

Agreed. I looked at the 15" cab and the porting is the first thing I noticed. I don't think you can manufacture for those prices without cutting corners.

I would imagine that being outside a customs union would make returning a faulty product quite complicated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The 8x10 is 8ohm.

You'll have to buy two...

Its not - if you look at the pictures on the Thomann listing and the close up of the rear of the cab (Jackplate) it says 4 ohm though in fairness Thomann does list it as 8.. confusing to say the least

• Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 09:32, fretmeister said:

600W, built in compression, and a tuner!

If the fan is quiet I might have one!

I looked these up when the thread started. Looking on the Thomann site though the Bugera is cheaper and a known entity, there are also offerings from TC, Markbass (admittedly lower powered) and Laney at similar prices. There is a lot of good stuff to be had in this price bracket. I bought a Peavey Mini Max just before lockdown for just over £200. Not knocking Harley Benton but this is a competitive field.

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I looked these up when the thread started. Looking on the Thomann site though the Bugera is cheaper and a known entity, there are also offerings from TC, Markbass (admittedly lower powered) and Laney at similar prices. There is a lot of good stuff to be had in this price bracket. I bought a Peavey Mini Max just before lockdown for just over £200. Not knocking Harley Benton but this is a competitive field.

I think those of us who have owned one of the previous HB bass cabs (I had a 410T) would agree they are very neutral/transparent (like a PA cab). Not bad for the price, not fantastically over engineered but fairly well built - got  a few good reviews on youtube. When I bougtht mine I wanted a 500w 8ohm on a budget to go with the Orange Terror - it was ok - nothing special but ti did the job and was all I could afford at the time. These look similair build, just with tolex instead of carpet, grille cloth instead of a metal grille and metal fittings as opposed to plastic/abs.

These are really interesting!  I like the look of the 4x10 and 1x15 cabs.  There's something about front porting that I just prefer over sealed/rear porting, they just work better in more venues as rear porting definitely results in variables depending on where the cab is placed.  May take the plunge on the 4x10, for £165 it would be rude not to!

I had their version of the Prometheus and it was great, see no reason why these wouldn't be either.

The problem with budget gear is always the used market though, the £250 HB head and £300 8*10 is a great rig for £550, but a quick look through the FS here shows that you can get a £200 Ashdown ABM 500W and a £350 Barefaced Compact instead. 

I know that's a little unfair, no warranty, etc. And you can make the same argument all the way up, why buy a new GK when you can have a used Berg, all true. Still. 

They have a 2x12 powered speaker cab specifically for using with amp modelling fx, wedge shaped. I think it's around £250, saw it advertised yesterday. Wondering if it would be good for bass or not, could be a good multi amp solution. I've now got a guitar multi fx as well as a bass multi, both with good amp modelling though they're older tech than the Helix and other stuff you can get now. 

I follow Harley Benton on Facebook which was a bad move. Too much GAS...! 

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

They have a 2x12 powered speaker cab specifically for using with amp modelling fx, wedge shaped. I think it's around £250, saw it advertised yesterday. Wondering if it would be good for bass or not,

This one, https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212a_fr_active_cabinet.htm ?
"open back cabinet"
"90Hz-20kHz"

Afraid it'll be no good for bass.

6 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

This one, https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212a_fr_active_cabinet.htm ?
"open back cabinet"
"90Hz-20kHz"

Afraid it'll be no good for bass.

Aha, thanks for that I did suspect it was guitarist gear. 

It says its full range flat response though... Which I thought meant "takes anything"?  Is it "takes anything that sits within its certain frequency range"? 

You can 'parse' FRFR in different ways.

Full range, flat response - it has a 'full range' (whatever that is) and a flat response.

Full range flat response - the flat response is across its full range, which goes without saying for hifi speakers usually defined as response within +/- 3db across the full range. Of course the 'full range' for hifi speakers is typically defined as being between the two -3dB points, but the point is there are no unexpected peaks or troughs.

Even if a speaker is 'FR,FR' it's clear that because of physics the 'range' still has to have limits, however broad it is, and there doesn't seem to be a standard to define what that is.

On 04/09/2020 at 08:49, stewblack said:

As everyone knows I am getting as much HB stuff as possible before the drawbridge is pulled up and we can't buy from the continent any more. 

However I have no room for any more cabs, dammit! 

Your comments nearly sparked me into an HB panic buying session, but then I realised being in Ireland I may be on the right side of the Thomann drawbridge. That won't help me bringing back the bass gesr stash I have accumulated in UK, but been unable to collect since lockdown.. 

5 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

Your comments nearly sparked me into an HB panic buying session, but then I realised being in Ireland I may be on the right side of the Thomann drawbridge. That won't help me bringing back the bass gesr stash I have accumulated in UK, but been unable to collect since lockdown.. 

That brings up a lot of questions for after 31st December 2020.  You might be better off stashing it in the UK and just transporting yourself to gigs over here if we ever gig again.

• 3 months later...

The combo's are nice, I have both. They are both the same size. I removed the tweeter trom the 300 to make an extra port, the 300 is used as a slave for the 150 (fx out 150, in high 300). A bit of overkill for the living room, but whatever, it looks nice. Oh and they EAT effects!!

20201015_123551.jpg

Edited by GH63
spelling