Why become a member? ×

What do we know about these?

TheGreek

WHen i bought my Ashdown rootmaster head the bloke had a five string one of those, i have to say it was nice to play and sounded good

i do wonder if they where made by the same factory who did the squier classic vibe basses  abit like when fender had squier and fender both made in japan.

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:Can't say I've seen one of these before - essentially a Chinese Jazz with twin Humbuckers

What we know is that they are far from rare, they are pretty common. They came out before the classic vibes, and they were sort of interesting with the switching, and probably the cheapest thing fender ever did, but didn't really take off that much

they did a Matt black 5 string that I would probably pick up if it was cheap enough

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

What we know is that they are far from rare, they are pretty common. They came out before the classic vibes, and they were sort of interesting with the switching, and probably the cheapest thing fender ever did, but didn't really take off that much

they did a Matt black 5 string that I would probably pick up if it was cheap enough

Did they make any fretlesses?

1 hour ago, alyctes said:

Did they make any fretlesses?

I don't think they did, just 4 and 5 strings.

The switching was good in that they had 5 way switches from humbucker, single, both, single, humbucker if I remember.

They didn't go down well at the time because they were chinese, which is a shame really as when the CVs came out that were also chinese, they went down really well. I guess it was a step too far for a fender logo but ok for a squier.

• Like 1

The one in the OP is the original version which didn't have any switching; the pickups are permanently humbuckers.

There was then a second version a couple of years later with the additional four-way rotary switch which allows each pickup to be humbucking or single coil.  You still then blend the pickups in the traditional way (VVT). I paid £401 (strange price!) from GAK in November 2013.

Edited by jrixn1