Why become a member? ×

Sell it all and start again?

redbandit599

Hi all

I'm lucky enough to have acquired some lovely gear, and tried out a few variations over the years.

I do sometimes wonder though, if I were to start all over again (with the benefit of this experience) would I buy what I have now? I know a lot of us flip stuff quite regularly (and that is part of the fun) but I just wondered if anyone had sold it all and started from scratch? If so, did what you buy end GAS forever, or were you back on the mill again soon?

Or, if you were to do that, what do you think you'd replace everything with ? (keep it simple, 1 bass and an amp/cab/combo etc.)

PS. I have no idea about that second question myself...😁

Edited by redbandit599
Grammar
  • Like 1

I did sell up all of my gear once, but replaced it essentially with smaller/cheaper items from the same brands. 

And since then accumulated a lot more/sold a lot more, so it didn’t really work out.

Edited by Lozz196

1 minute ago, cetera said:

If I were to start all over again and just buy one bass/amp - I'd buy a late 80's Kramer-era Spector NS2 and a late 80's/early 90's Gallien Krueger 800RB head. Cab to be decided....

If you were to sell it all you could probably afford a mansion in Mayfair! 😆

• Haha 3

For my first serious amp I was well advised to get an SWR. Did me well for over 25 years, so wouldn't change that.

Bass wise, either a Fender P or J and then just stick with it and let it accumulate mojo (Like Billy Sheehan's 'wife')

If I did that, I'd probably end up with what I have (I certainly wouldn't part with my old J bass unless I could be certain of finding another, identical one) or very similar. Having got what I have through many years of trying/buying/selling, I'm pretty happy with it. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

Moving on from my earlier post, I think if I was in the position where I had to sell up and start afresh I’d get a Fender Jazz Bass (I know, me a confirmed Precision player for years but I’ve recently realised that the Jazz is more versatile for me across a whole range of music) and whatever lightweight head/cab Ashdown we’re doing at the time.

• Like 1

I tried once to do this and bought a Dingwall afterburner II with chambered walnut body.
Had a Genz streamliner amp and genz cabs with it.

I spent more time worrying about putting a dent in the bass than actually enjoying playimg it so that experiment ended badly as I sold it on.

Today my favourite bass is a 5 string Fender deluxe MIA jazz which feels just about perfect for me. 
My favourite cabs are barefaced and I’d probably go with an Orange 200 watt tube head.

If I sold up, I’d probably sell everything (all instruments/gear) and just buy a really nice 12th fret acoustic.
I’d probably be more focused musically, and not scouring the interweb, drooling over vintage G&Ls, and handing money over to the double-bass string roundabout attendant. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

I think about this sometimes, to a degree. What I have found is my definite ‘one’ bass which I won’t ever sell but I often amass several other instruments and suddenly have the urge to sell them all. Done it several times now and just kept the one. It’s quite liberating and fun at the same time to experiment with stuff and not have to worry that you’re chasing your tail. 

Ive also found that it pays to keep a P bass in stock because it’s a great leveller and a useful benchmark. Sometimes quite refreshing to go back to my battered P with flats. 

I’ve never been ‘attached’ to amps in the same way and could happily sell or use a house rig if it means I don’t need to bring one.

• Like 1

I certainly would try to find something that I already have. I can not see any benefit in doing this kind of sell-all-buy-something.

If I use a retroscope, and think about the past, I do see many purchases that were funny and unnecessary. Live and learn...

• Like 2

It would be hard to say. I'm a jazz bass man, so I guess if I sold my four basses I'd buy a USA jazz and have change left over. But really, the CIJ Jazz I have looks better than anything available to buy right now because the Japanese have a higher proportion of left handers so they made better options. I'd maybe get a Sire 5 string jazz then if I had to have just one so I've got that 5th string option. Amp wise I love a Trace Elliot for everything except size and weight, so I'd probably stick with my Ashdown RM rig because I don't need more bells and whistles than that. I have a Trace amp emulation in my fx board anyways. 

So why do I own 4 basses, then? Probably because one is a fretless I've had since aged 18, and I am most at home on that bass. I have a Stingray because it's big ballsy tone is best suited to bashing out 80s covers in a busy pub or at a wedding or function. I have an 80s Aria because I wanted it, no other reason, its probably expendable. I have a jazz because for fretted basses I prefer the sound and feel of a jazz bass over anything, even a Stingray. 

I do it everytime I finish with a band and join a new one.

I think it's quite good to remember that band by that equipment etc.

All, that will happen though is you'll buy a great new rig, tailor it to your needs for that band, and then ....... get bored and change it.

I've had some amazing gear and some terrible gear, and still havent learned any lessons! It all comes and goes through the revolving door.

I also wonder about this. I have way too many and some that I will never play in anger but just like having them. But I am a bass tart and like every bass I pick up. I really like the idea of simplifying because as soon as I have options I get paralysed by choice.

However, everything I buy is 2nd hand at the right price so buying and selling is esentially cost neutral and I could have MANY worse obsessions.