Why become a member? ×

The 6 String Experience/General Thread

BassApprentice

So here I am with a Sandberg Electra VM4 (P bass) and a Squier Bronco (Smol P Bass) both picked up very recently and I am now bored. I like the tone but when you are home bassist who just noodles at home a one pickup bass just doesn't quite cut it.

So where to next? I recently sold a BB425 and I do miss the low B and just the feel of the wider neck, I've only briefly had a 6 string and it didn't get much attention as it had a pickup issue which i just couldn't solve so is now the time to try again? Having had a quick look, Ibanez seem to be the easiest gateway to the 6 string world unless happy to hear of others experiences with the first foray into 6 stringers.

Also, I think a general thread of how people use their 6 strings and what they like/don't like about them could be useful as I can't be the only bassist interested in making the change and a one-stop-shop would be useful for a reference point :D 

I owned a '97 Warwick Streamer LX6. I had to sell it due to a divorce / house purchase / needing funds.  I liked it. Played well,  sounded nice (if a little polite)

Upsides? Great for chordal stuff. You can play further across the neck before you have to go up it! Or down for that matter. 

They can be weighty. A thick, wide non-slip strap can help,  though. 

There's plenty to choose from these days at all price points. 

Downsides?

Re- stringing costs an arm and a leg.

Some less enlightened musicians may mock you. I got a bit of stick from some other bands' members for using it with acoustic guitars and light percussion. It was actually well- suited to it (as I felt compelled to prove)

I arguably played my best gig with it. And was sacked from the band immediately thereafter for bruising the guitarists' egos. Drummer wanted me to stay, but was out-voted.

Lovely instruments, but can polarise opinion a bit...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ibanez will certainly get you into the 6 string world for a reasonable cost and at a great build quality. What’s your budget?

I'd probably sell the Electra if I'm honest so roughly £400. Don't get me wrong the Electra is great but I don't think I'm a P Bass guy and the Bronco will do that if I need it. 

I have had several goes with a 6, and I never really use them much, or the necks get too big. The only time I played one live was a problem as I realised my ability to switch between 4 and 5 strings without issues was because I viewed everything from the top string, so I missed a couple of times!

i have a 6 string at the moment but the neck is too wide for me 

I started out on a six string, my monster Yamaha TRB6. I loved the range, being able to go down to a low B, being able to play chords and high fills, and also how much easier it makes sight reading (minimal shifts).

I currently still have a bunch of six string basses: the TRB, my Ken Smith Design six string Jazz (currently on the classifieds), my 33” scale Shuker Singlecut, my Warwick Alien and my fanned fret RedSub Coliseum. I’ve also owned a fanned fret Ibanez Soundgear, a Tune, and probably a couple others I’ve forgotten.

Really like having them. 

I have currently two six string basses, no, three actually. A Spector NS-6XL and an Ibanez SR5006 and a 3006. 

A very subjective pros/cons as follows

Pros:

- love the range

- lots of possibilities for solo playing, chord playing and tapping. I know Jaco only needed 4 but anyway. 

- really enjoy playing Bach cello pieces or tapping / chording well known songs in a range where there can be sung along. 

- love the asthetics, like a 4 sting with two extras from each sides 🙂

Cons:

- I found out that it makes no difference for me to switch to 5 from 4 but to 6 the neck dimensions and the overall ergonomics of the bass plays a lot bigger role. Less margin of error in terms ergonomics for me. Weight, string spacing, neck dimesions etc. (Like I loved my 6 string Yamaha TRB's but the neck was to wide / thick especially for the TRB6IIP)

- The C string can be thin / quiet sounding in a dense band setting just because it is, well, thin. 

- In a "working bassist" situation the C is seldom used or needed so for me the added neck width, number of strings to mute, weight makes impractical to use them compared to a fiver. ( I know there are exceptions in many genres like fusion, gospel or tech metal but still....)

Still I love my sixers and use them on a regular basis at home. 

A well loved used Ibanez SR506 could be a good start and be within your price range. 

Just acquired one. Still getting into it, but the outbreak of "I could do THIS, and THIS..." kind of thinking was worth the price of admission on its own. It's a COrt A6 and is a lot of bass for the money - through neck, Bartolinis, Hipshot tuners.

Yes, it's a bit heavy, but actually lighter than my Spector 5-string fretted and it may just be what I need going forward.  Watch this space.

Edited by mangotango
I can't type. Still.

My first 6 was years ago - an Ibanez BTB406QM in trans blue. I had the matching 5 string in trans black and that was my main bass for aaages but for some reason the 6 was one of those uninspiring instruments and looking back I was just too inexperienced to do anything about it like replacing pickups etc. Also I was using it to play fairly straight up metal with a pick so it was needlessly heavy and wide as I had no use for the extra string, and when I contrived a use for it.. it sounded thin and pretty naff.

Anyway, both BTBs moved on eventually and that was it for 6s until the end of last year when I was instructed to select something for my birthday and given a £500 budget. I spotted an Ibanez SR506e on offer at Dawsons so headed over to Manchester and ended up getting it for £450 - with train tickets and lunch at ‘spoons I came in pretty much on budget.

This time I’m using it to play generally lighter acoustic/pop-rock with fingers and really enjoying it. The only issue I‘ve had was that the frets sprouted pretty much as soon as I got it home, so I fixed it ...then they did it again a couple of weeks later, so I fixed it again. It’s been alright since but the board just seems to be incredibly dry - it absolutely drinks bore oil and then just goes back to looking dry! 🙄

I’d still recommend it as a nice 6 to get started on - especially the most recent version after they changed the pickups to a slightly different model of Barts. I normally hate Barts but these are really good.

I was playing a 5 string and I figured that 6 would be the next logical step, so I part exchanged my 5 for an Ibanez BTB406. That was a nice bass, but it felt huge-t he neck was really wide, and so was the body. I used to use it quite a lot, and I stuck a Roland V Pickup on it to give it even more versatility.  I then got lucky and found a 1991 Tobias Standard 6 which was so much nicer than the Ibanez in every way, with a tighter spacing, asymmetric neck, Bartolini NTMB preamp and pickups, and a smaller and lighter body. I've still got that one.

I've settled on playing mostly 5 strings now, but I like to play my 6 on certain jazz gigs. I like the extra range in the higher positions for playing melodies and chords, and of course for playing solos. I sometimes take it out on other gigs and recordings just because it's a really good sounding instrument over the whole range.

• Like 1