Why become a member? ×

Pimp my Dano Long Horn

Rob MacKillop

You can get a bridge upgrade with adjustable saddles for intonation, should find one on ebay but they're not cheap. 

I have a 90s reissue and the pickups and wiring are fine, great actually. I don't know if the Dead On 58 pickups are different but before you replace them try wiring them in series, a seriously punchy improvement. 

If the control pots are the same as the 90s reissue then standard 6mm or 1/4" knobs won't fit, the shaft is smaller, also the lower knob fitting is different to standard stacked pots, they're more like an old radio knob fitment. If you fit new standard stacked pots then you can obviously fit any knobs you like. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alyctes said:

Are the bodies on these easy to upgrade?  IIUC their construction is quite lightweight.

The body is basically a wooden frame with a hardboard panel top and bottom, but Danelectro call it Masonite. 

7 minutes ago, Maude said:

The body is basically a wooden frame with a hardboard panel top and bottom, but Danelectro call it Masonite. 

That was more or less what I remembered, but I got all tangled up on the word "composite" and confused myself.  Thanks for clarifying :)

• Like 1

I had a Dano '63 bass which I adored, but I was terrified of doing anything with it. The action was starting to creep higher and when I tried to adjust the bridge the screws started ripping through the top of the body. The neck was bowing, I hadn't been playing long and didn't have a clue what to do.

That said, I'd definitely have another. it was comfortable, sounded great and looked as cool as you like. Hopefully I'd have more confidence this time around!

Good luck! Keep the pickups though ;) 

Also own a 90s reissue. As with previous payer find the pickups and wiring to be fine. 

I did look around at pickups a little a while back out of curiosity more than anything. Not loads of options out there from what I saw. There’s a Kent Armstrong Hot Lips bass set, but from memory they’re J bass pickups in a lipstick cover. Think they’re what were used on the Lakland Scheff signature.

I have a 90's reissue and wouldn't touch a thing. Wooden bridge wood screws as string height adjusters, itty-bitty tuning knobs, no truss adjustment...intonation, lipstick pickups, splanky-perfect best $165 US (with antique-looking gigbag). Oh, and yeah, plastic strap buttons just too cool and way playable!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

I have a 90's reissue and wouldn't touch a thing.

Me too

9 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

no truss adjustment...

My 90s blueburst has an adjustable truss rod - unlike the dead-on which adjusts at the headstock you have to remove (or partially remove) the neck to get at the adjustment nut which is at the body end of the neck like a 60s Fender. The original 50s ones didn't have a truss rod so the dead-on isn't quite dead-on

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Me too

My 90s blueburst has an adjustable truss rod - unlike the dead-on which adjusts at the headstock you have to remove (or partially remove) the neck to get at the adjustment nut which is at the body end of the neck like a 60s Fender. The original 50s ones didn't have a truss rod so the dead-on isn't quite dead-on

My 90's blueburst is actually a 'Pro' model ( upgraded metal bridge / tuners etc) but like yours has truss adjustment at the body end of the neck. Again, historically inaccurate but makes it more user friendly IMO. Had a few Longhorns and they've all been great, just some more great than others. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

My 90's blueburst is actually a 'Pro' model ( upgraded metal bridge / tuners etc) but like yours has truss adjustment at the body end of the neck. Again, historically inaccurate but makes it more user friendly IMO. Had a few Longhorns and they've all been great, just some more great than others. 😀

Dang, I didn’t know the pro model was a thing. Have to say my preference would be for a ‘proper’ bridge and tuners. That said, the unconventional aspects of these basses is half the fun I guess. And I can’t complain as I picked mine up a few months back for just over £150. 

1 minute ago, mr4stringz said:

Dang, I didn’t know the pro model was a thing. Have to say my preference would be for a ‘proper’ bridge and tuners. That said, the unconventional aspects of these basses is half the fun I guess. And I can’t complain as I picked mine up a few months back for just over £150. 

The ‘Pro’ model seemed to appear in two versions. I believe both had the improved metal bridge and tuners but one had the dual concentric pots unlike mine which has a master vol, master tone and a 3 position pickup selector switch. As with most Longhorns, it sounds best with both pickups on, full vol and tone! Mine is a late 90’s model, made in Korea.

• Like 2

I'll warmly recommend wiring the 2 single coil lipstick tube pickups in series.

I once owned the Jerry Jones version of this bass (sort of a more expensive, higher quality, high end version), which I still regret being stupid enough to part with, and one of the stock options on the pickup selector switch of that bass was the 2 lipstick tube pickups wired in series.

Actually it was the only pickup setting I ever used, gives it more punch and power, and in my opinion makes it better suited in a rock music context or similar than any other combination of those 2 pickups.

In fact I loved how it sounded with the 2 pickups in series, and it might save you bothering about upgrading the pickups at all.   

You might consider upgrading the stock bridge for one with adjustable metal saddles too, I've seen a relatively cheap one on Ebay made specifically to fit these type of Danelectro basses, making it a relatively simple swap, basically a perfect drop in (be aware that a standard bridge won't fit, since the string spacing is much more narrow on these basses, though I guess you could go for monorail bridge pieces): https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Danelectro-Adjustable-Bass-Bridge-CHROME/333684117683?epid=2256127977&hash=item4db11f90b3:g:oNcAAOSww~FfNBEc

As a suggestion for a visual mod, though I honestly think a black Longhorn bass looks great just as it is from stock, you could consider cutting out a photo, drawing or pattern on a piece paper or fabric and fit it under the clear pickguard. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

Word of caution on those All Parts replacement bridges (checked them out a little while back myself). Likely not a gamechanger, but worthy of note.

From their website -

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/danelectro-adjustable-bass-bridge

NB. The front two mounting holes match up with the longhorn bass bridge (BB-3810-010). However the rear mounting hole does not so adjustment to the body would need to be made if replacing the longhorn bass bridge with this one.

• Like 1

As for body mods there's not a massive amount you can do without drastically altering things, which IMO there's no need to. 

This is my 90s reissue, 

KMOVA6e.jpg

Stripped and lacquered neck, removed side tape and applied silver sparkle with black edging, refinished in mint green, reshaped thumbrest in matching mint green, custom mirror scratchplate and black rather than brown lower control knob (I left the top one yellowed white to match the tuners and strap buttons. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Maude said:

As for body mods there's not a massive amount you can do without drastically altering things, which IMO there's no need to. 

This is my 90s reissue, 

KMOVA6e.jpg

Stripped and lacquered neck, removed side tape and applied silver sparkle with black edging, refinished in mint green, reshaped thumbrest in matching mint green, custom mirror scratchplate and black rather than brown lower control knob (I left the top one yellowed white to match the tuners and strap buttons. 

Wow, what a belter! Love it, good work.

• Thanks 1