Why become a member? ×

What's involved in changing a 5-string to high C?

Rob MacKillop

I fancy getting a 5-string, but tuned EADGC. Almost all the 5-stringers I see are for BEADG. I'm imagining a new nut might be required to get correct seating of the strings? I can't imagine bridge holes would be a problem?

Edit: I also wonder about string length. Do low-string 5-stringers have a longer string length than regular, and should ideally high C string length 5-strings have a medium to short string length?

Edited by Rob MacKillop

Just a question of putting the different strings on and idealy (but not always) fitting a nut that works for it. String length and bridges are not an issue. You have to redo the intonation (but that is true with different strings anyway) and you may have to adjust the action / truss rod.

• Like 1

If your bass head is angled, no need to put a new nut. I did it very often as I tend to prefer a high C on a fiver than a low B.

So not a big deal to do. I think it's harder to find a 5 strings set with a high C than doing the conversion itself. 😉

I'm using Fodera strings for this purpose, but here is what Thomann is proposing https://m.thomann.de/gb/search.html?categoryKeys=GISAEB5S&maxPrice=46&q=5+string+high+c+set&s=price

But you can also buy a regular 4 strings set and add the extra high C needed if the brand sales single strings. D'Addario, Kalium, Newtone and Elixir are the easiest to deal with for this and you can even create your own set with the gauges you want by these brands.

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing, but a set of new strings that accommodate the lighter tuning, except possibly a truss rod adjustment if the overall string tension happens to change, and the usual string change setup, setting intonation e.t.c.

There's a slim chance that you might need a new nut too though, with nut slots that fit the thinner gauge of strings, but only a slim chance, I fitted a string set with a .100 gauge E string on my 5 string to tune it E to C and it fit just fine into the nut slot originally intended for a .125 string, as did the other strings of the set.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 19:18, Baloney Balderdash said:

Absolutely nothing, but a set of new strings that accommodate the lighter tuning, except possibly a truss rod adjustment if the overall string tension happens to change, and the usual string change setup, setting intonation e.t.c.

Overall string tension will almost definitely change. The average high C string is a much higher tension than that of a low B.

• Like 1