Why become a member? ×

COVID claims another victim, maybe

Nicko

40 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm exactly the same Dave. Horses for courses I suppose. But I'm in a band with people who are really good friends ( I'm even married to one of them) so practicing for us is just getting together with like minded mates and creating music. It's first and foremost an enjoyable social get together. If it wasn't, I don't think I'd bother doing it. I totally appreciate that for some people it's a living, which puts a rather different spin on things, but as far as the hobby side of it goes, I certainly don't need an audience to enjoy it. In fact I enjoy it far more without one. 

Yes, same here. I look forward to rehearsals and really miss them. Our gigs are quite sparse anyway, but I’d be happy just rehearsing most of the time 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

How about just for the love of playing music with other musicians?  

100%. The folks I play with most often just get together for the fun of it. Try out songs we've written, play our instruments at an decent volume and enjoy the time spent together.

For me, it's any excuse to strap on, tune up and play out.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, police squad said:

This, 'so what do you want to do' is a nonsense thing because it doesnt really ask anything, because there seems to be no context.

Sounds to me like the drummer wasn't really interested in being in the band, but didn't want to be seen as the bad guy by quitting. Constantly asking the question, whilst simultaneously being the one blocking any solution is a classic passive aggressive move. Now he gets to stay at home, happy and safe (can't really blame him for that one) but doesn't have to look like the bad guy that broke up the band. I'm afraid the OP walked straight into the trap, as did I in a very similar situation with my last band. Either way there nothing really lost as it obviously wasn't going to go anywhere anyway once people lose interest in playing together. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I actually prefer rehearsing to gigging. Sitting in a room with other musicians just playing is one of my favourite things in the world.  Rather than rehearsing being a means to an end, I see gigging as a necessary evil.  

Me too.

7 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I get the whole thing about playing for enjoyment - but there’s a hell of a lot of things that we can’t do normally at the moment... but we can make the most of what we do have.

I agree.  I was quite happy to simply not rehearse.  It was the constant emphasis on me deciding what to do that was the final straw.

7 hours ago, Stylon Pilson said:

OP's responses seem to have been mainly just shooting everything down. I'm really glad that I'm not in a band with him.

The only suggestion I "shot down" was the idea of recording via relay which the guitarist had already declined, although I actually sent a long email explaining what we would have to do in order to record in that way. I have a habit of explaining things as they are. If you're that sensitive perhaps we wouldn't work very well together in a band anyway. 

8 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Having read the exchange back numerous times, I have to say you come across a little passive aggressive too.

Me, passive aggressive?  Your opinion is valid, of course, even if its wrong.😀

I can be a bit sometimes, although I tend to read things twice before I send them but maybe by the end I was so tired of the discussion I really didn't care that much.  I actually thought the "what do you want to do" was more passive aggressive than my responses, but then maybe my compass was off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, police squad said:

This, 'so what do you want to do' is a nonsense thing because it doesnt really ask anything, because there seems to be no context.

I suspect the context was that I'd indicated that I thought the band was going to fold due to the singer moving out of the area (a good 2 hour drive and the singer has no transport).  He may have been suggesting that I suggest we sack the singer and find a new one, but IMO he should have been asking her what she wanted to do.

OP: "ok I've located a rehersal room with windows. When shall I book it for?""

Drummer: "Well maybe next month or possibly not...maybe next March, but I guess could be ready in a couple of weeks"

OP: " I need a date to make the booking"

Drummer "..... what shape are the windows?"

OP: " er... sort of rectangle I think"

Drummer: " ..agh...sorry mate I need a room with perfectly square windows or my OCD might kick in and trigger the virus"

OP: " You don't really want to be in this band do you?"

Drummer: " Yeah of course mate...just need to know what we can do about it"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bleat said:

OP: "ok I've located a rehersal room with windows. When shall I book it for?""

Drummer: "Well maybe next month or possibly not...maybe next March, but I guess could be ready in a couple of weeks"

OP: " I need a date to make the booking"

Drummer "..... what shape are the windows?"

OP: " er... sort of rectangle I think"

Drummer: " ..agh...sorry mate I need a room with perfectly square windows or my OCD might kick in and trigger the virus"

OP: " You don't really want to be in this band do you?"

Drummer: " Yeah of course mate...just need to know what we can do about it"

Drummer: "well what do you want to do about it?"

OP: " well i've just been reading the government and WHO guidance and I don't think the shape of the windows matter"

Drummer: "It might though.  what do you want to do about it?"