Why become a member? ×

The "Precision" sound

coreyflecha

Given your budget, it's worth thinking about buying one of the many very reasonably priced variants of the P that appear in the ads on Basschat.  That way, if you don't like it, the band don't like it, things don't work out etc., you can sell it again with very little risk of losing much money.  Think of it as chance to try a P and to rent one for a very minimal charge!  And it's all good fun

Here's a couple just from page one of the Basses for Sale section:

Edited by three
update

10 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Before spending any cash I would check that when the band say they prefer the sound of a precision, they don't actually mean that that they like the sound and image of a Fender precison and nothing else will do.

Agree. It could just as well be a style of playing or just the look of a P-bass. I know we all get uptight about the sound of a P vs a J vs a MM etc. but I think in a band context* you can make most basses sound similar enough.  I'd be very careful before going out and buying another bass to try and please the other band members.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coreyflecha said:

I've always plays ibanez SR, so a precision its like a total diferent world for me xD

i like modern shape basses and dont want to spend more than 800 maybe 900 eur 

You don’t have to spend that much. Try a squier “classic vibe” or “vintage modified” Precision. Also Vintage V4 

cheap to try out and you can sell it for same £££ if you don’t like it 

btw your English is fine - stop apologising 

thank you all for the comments

Am from spain so buying something out of the country seems complicated, i considered buy used instruments, but here ( in spain), people try to sell the used instrument almost like new XD so, buy used gear dont always means save some money, i was thinking on buy at thomann, in case i dont like it or whatever i can return it.

for the band, they seem very clear about the sound , didnt said anything about the looks xD but, they dont try to make me change the bass, thats on me, probably for GAS or probably just curiosity and take me out of my confort zone you know

Again, thank you all,  will post here if i finally decide to buy a p-bass or something like it XD 

9 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Before spending any cash I would check that when the band say they prefer the sound of a precision, they don't actually mean that that they like the sound and image of a Fender precison and nothing else will do.

9 hours ago, Baceface said:

Agree. It could just as well be a style of playing or just the look of a P-bass. I know we all get uptight about the sound of a P vs a J vs a MM etc. but I think in a band context* you can make most basses sound similar enough.  I'd be very careful before going out and buying another bass to try and please the other band members.

Yep, i played for a band leader who wanted a very specific visual image for the band, one component of which was a bassist playing a Precision (he was looking for an early 80's Clash/New Wave vibe). He said he preferred the sound of my Precision over my Ric, but I'm really not sure that in the mess of noise produced by that particular band he could really hear anything at all :)

Well, for absolute certainty, if I wanted the Precision bass sound for minimal cash outlay I would consider buying the Harley Benton Shorty Precision.  A staggeringly low £80+/- new.  It sounds exactly like a Precision, it is short scale, lightweight with a slim neck.  Because the body is scaled down it doesn't quite look like a Precision, more like a Strat with fat strings.  It is a decent bass at any price point up to £500 IMO, the fact that it costs £80 I still find unbelievable.  

One of the very nicest Precision basses I have owned is my JV Squier, which I would value at £800.  Is the HB as good as the JV?  No.  Is the JV 10 x better than the HB?  Absolutely not.  This weekend is my first gig since buying the HB and I am going to use it.  I would guarantee in the band context no-one at all will notice the difference between the HB and the JV. 

If you tried and didn't like you could move it on for, say, £60!  The depreciation for such a cheap bass is practically nothing.

Just now, hooky_lowdown said:

No idea what that means??? 🤔

Well, in the case of the HB Shorty P bass, it means that people would take a look at the HB headstock logo, take a look at the £80 price tag, and decide it wasn't any good without actually listening to one.

1 minute ago, Paul S said:

Well, in the case of the HB Shorty P bass, it means that people would take a look at the HB headstock logo, take a look at the £80 price tag, and decide it wasn't any good without actually listening to one.

When you say "people" do you mean the general population, or gear snobs, which everyone knows aren't people, but a few misguided fools? 😉

6 hours ago, Vanheusen77 said:

Yeah as previously mentioned, remember that people listen with their eyes. Took me a long time to realize that!

We can all be guilty of that. One of the best jazz guitar sounds I heard was from the neck single coil of an Ibanez Satriani signature guitar. Sounded great but I had to shut my eyes and pretend it was some kind of sunburst archtop with humbuckers!

Ditto Geddy Lee switching over to the Jazz bass and sounding almost the same as on his Rickenbacker. I was surprised to see the jazz used at the concert when I'd only seen him in photos with the Ric. 

On 02/09/2020 at 01:37, coreyflecha said:

Hi, first sorry for my speaking english is not my language xD

Am in a new band, the said the like the sound of fenders precision bass, i never had a precision but i want to know, can i get this sound with any bass with that pick up configuration ? or i need a precision for that? has to be fender ? or any other brand will do the job?

Thanks for any information !!

Which P Sound? There have been many nuance differences over the years [build, woods, necks, pickups, manufactures etc.]

There is a 'know it when you hear it' general overall sound and everybody has their favorites and anything minutely different is not authentic in their ears.

I think the people who care are generally musicians themselves, and among non bass players I get the feeling Fenders are the most “approved” and recognised brand . So even if you have let’s say an Ibanez with a p pickup that sounds exactly like a P bass many musicians might be sceptical OR intrigued at first. The audience does not care unless it’s something totally wild like a BC Rich in a jazz band or something if even then. To generalise I also think that different instrument groups are more or less conservative(not talking politics here). For example guitarists seem more conservative and wants everything to be more “vintagey”, while drummers and bass players tend to be more open minded about modern stuff.

Edited by Vanheusen77

Here's a few possibles in the price range you mentioned, or cheaper in some cases.

Yamaha BB line of basses

Ibanez SR 200k

Warwick Adam Clayton Rockbass

Warwick Rockbass Streamer, or Fortress

Spector Performer, or Legend Classic

None of those are Fender P copies and most have smaller more "modern" bodies.

*Depending on the type pf P pickups fitted, not all of these will necessarily give you an exact "Fender P" tone, (whatever that is depending on age and model Fender) but should get you pretty much there.

Edited by durhamboy
addition
  • Like 1

There are lots of basses with a P-style split coil pickups that won't sound even remotely like a classic P-bass. Especially if they're active.

If you want the classic P-bass sound the safest choice is a passive bass. The resonant peak from the passive tone control is a HUGE part of the P-bass sound IMO. Most passive basses with a split coil pickup in the P-bass position will sound reasonably close to a P-bass.

Personally I will also recommend basses with alnico pickups if you're looking for the classic P-bass sound. Ceramic P-bass pickups can be very hit-or-miss if you don't know what to look for. Alnico P-bass pickups are usually decent and closer to the classic, vintage P-bass sound.

Edited by S.F.Sorrow