Why become a member? ×

The "Precision" sound

coreyflecha

Hi, first sorry for my speaking english is not my language xD

Am in a new band, the said the like the sound of fenders precision bass, i never had a precision but i want to know, can i get this sound with any bass with that pick up configuration ? or i need a precision for that? has to be fender ? or any other brand will do the job?

Thanks for any information !!

Heaps of P-basses out there not made by Fender/Squier and that don't look like Precisions. Like others have said, it's mainly about the pickup type and position, and it should probably be passive to ensure you're hitting your amp in a similar way and not colour the tone too much.

Edit: It's also about scale length. Don't expect a 30" scale bass to sound like a Precision, regardless of pickup position.

Edited by Naigewron

17 minutes ago, Naigewron said:

Heaps of P-basses out there not made by Fender/Squier and that don't look like Precisions. Like others have said, it's mainly about the pickup type and position, and it should probably be passive to ensure you're hitting your amp in a similar way and not colour the tone too much.

Edit: It's also about scale length. Don't expect a 30" scale bass to sound like a Precision, regardless of pickup position.

As it happens, I have the Harley Benton Shorty and it actually does sound exactly like a Precision.

18 minutes ago, coreyflecha said:

i know a pbass will fix the issue but i want to keep my options open xD

but , i think i get it now, thanks again for the answers ,

Let us know your budget, style, shapes you like etc and we'll find you something to fit the bill :)

1 hour ago, Naigewron said:

My short scale p bass definitely sounds like a p bass. Got no Idea where you're coming from that a short scale won't sound like a p bass?

Also, to get that classic p bass sound you need a passive alnico split precision pickup. If it's alnico you're pretty much there. 😃

The neck pickup on a jazz is nothing like a classic p bass sound, it lacks the full roundness, low end, and punch you only get from a classic p bass sound.

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The neck pickup on a jazz is nothing like a classic p bass sound, it lacks the full roundness, low end, and punch you only get from a classic p bass sound.

I think "nothing like" is a stretch. If I recorded my P and J side by side (with same strings) there is a difference, but it's very similar.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, coreyflecha said:

I've always plays ibanez SR, so a precision its like a total diferent world for me xD

i like modern shape basses and dont want to spend more than 800 maybe 900 eur 

Assuming you’re playing an SR 4 string, you’ll be used to a narrower nut width and slightly smaller body than you’d find with a Fender P.  In which case, I’d suggest a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang: narrow nut width, small body, split pickup in the right right position and definitely within your budget. Or, if you want a bit more flexibility and medium scale, a Squier CV Jaguar.

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Assuming you’re playing an SR 4 string, you’ll be used to a narrower nut width and slightly smaller body than you’d find with a Fender P.  In which case, I’d suggest a Squier Classic Vibe Mustang: narrow nut width, small body, split pickup in the right right position and definitely within your budget. Or, if you want a bit more flexibility and medium scale, a Squier CV Jaguar.

yeah,  think that too, i always assume that p-bass will be bigger and less confortable for me that a SR ibanez, checking that options you said, i guess jaguar can make the deal, assuming that it can sound like a pbass, i saw a Player Series Jaguar that i like but dont know if is best or worst than squier

20 minutes ago, coreyflecha said:

yeah,  think that too, i always assume that p-bass will be bigger and less confortable for me that a SR ibanez, checking that options you said, i guess jaguar can make the deal, assuming that it can sound like a pbass, i saw a Player Series Jaguar that i like but dont know if is best or worst than squier

On paper, it should be better. However, you never know until you try them out. Will either sound like a P bass? Yes, but bear in mind that not all P basses sound the same.  There will obviously be a number of videos on YT, but here’s a couple to get you going:

Edited by ezbass