Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Time to get those tunes out from your head and onto the DAW  fir September 9_9 

For your Inspiration from last months winner @NickD who states.....

"Taken in my back garden as a bit of an astrophotography/light painting test"

50212813923_98eff5f943_k.jpg

rules then I suppose .......

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes. Ever.

Heads up for the voting after this, please don't vote for your own entry when the poll goes up !

The last orders will ring out  around midnight on the 23rd or soon after to set the poll up! 

have a good one 

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 1

Here is my contribution to the September 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: NickD..!
Strange 'inspiration' this month, reflected in the title. The metaphysical Wild Ramblings of a Tree, faced with the Immensity of the Universe. What place for a Conifer in the Big Picture..? Is there reconciliation, or at least some comfort, in the vastness of the Unknown..?
Superior Drums, Toontrack bass, Roland keys... All the rest is disparate samples, gleaned from my bulging folders and molded into shape, to fit pitch and tempo. Several instances of Ozone, for each genre, and a final spit'n'polish with Rich richness. Best played slightly loud (but not too loud, just the same..!) 
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the September 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: NickD..!
Strange 'inspiration' this month, reflected in the title. The metaphysical Wild Ramblings of a Tree, faced with the Immensity of the Universe. What place for a Conifer in the Big Picture..? Is there reconciliation, or at least some comfort, in the vastness of the Unknown..?
Superior Drums, Toontrack bass, Roland keys... All the rest is disparate samples, gleaned from my bulging folders and molded into shape, to fit pitch and tempo. Several instances of Ozone, for each genre, and a final spit'n'polish with Rich richness. Best played slightly loud (but not too loud, just the same..!) 

Sweeeet 

that was very well moulded to my ear 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh, that's a bit classy! 😎

25 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've had a bit of a fiddle, and just to keep Douglas happy I've done a fuzz-wah bass disco punk song containing lots of deep and meaningless shouting...

Don't listen to him, folks; he's joshing me. It's entirely listenable, a more-than-worthy addition to the mounting collection of fine works exhibited throughout for these Challenges. Me likee. :i-m_so_happy:

• Thanks 1

On 11/09/2020 at 10:38, xgsjx said:

& here's me expecting a song about a Douglas Fir.  🤔

Nice track.  You've set a high bar.

And Now @Leonard Smalls has done the same ! 

Now I fear that the bar has been set so high , I will have no difficulty in walking right under it :D

in my defence, this month, I have written a song , I have learnt it , and learnt how to play it , so this time I have a structure to follow , it is of course, a bit random and full of my vocal , however, I have a few days left yet to rehearse and warm my larynx to its fullest harmonic potential*

* who the f**k am I kidding here , not even myself 🤣

• Haha 2

Here's mine for this month. We did a tree a few months ago so I've looked beyond, far, far into the cosmos and......come up with a pretty straightforward tune with plenty of flange for that space-y effect. Hydrogen drums, Starforce bass (it's got planets and stars on the fretboard for inlays, I'm all themed up!), semi acoustic saz, a touch of electro saz and a smidge of keys. No vocals, that's Lurks' domain this month. And he's right about the bar being set high. I reckon I'm more limbo dancer than pole vaulter 😄

'

• Like 3

What's the cut off date? 🤣

MIne has been a dreamy fingerpicked ballad, a trippy spacerock adventure, a philosophical, Floydy meandering, and a quiet/ loud/ quiet assault on the senses, 2 of which I'm likely to filch and modify for the band.... Gawd knows what I'll actually end up submitting though.

1 minute ago, NickD said:

What's the cut off date? 🤣

MIne has been a dreamy fingerpicked ballad, a trippy spacerock adventure, a philosophical, Floydy meandering, and a quiet/ loud/ quiet assault on the senses, 2 of which I'm likely to filch and modify for the band.... Gawd knows what I'll actually end up submitting though.

Oh, what a shame; the pieces had to be in exactly ten minutes ago. Now ain't that just bad luck..? Never mind, sonny; have another go next time (when you'll miss the boat by even less... -_- )

Nah, midnight (the witching hour...), 23rd September 2020 is the Official Closing Ceremony, with trumpet fanfare and parade of scantily-dressed ... 

Oh, did I say that out loud..? Sorry..! :$

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh, what a shame; the pieces had to be in exactly ten minutes ago. Now ain't that just bad luck..? Never mind, sonny; have another go next time (when you'll miss the boat by even less... -_- )

Nah, midnight (the witching hour...), 23rd September 2020 is the Official Closing Ceremony, with trumpet fanfare and parade of scantily-dressed ... 

Oh, did I say that out loud..? Sorry..! :$

Looks like it's makeyermindup time!

• Haha 1