Why become a member? ×

Shall I pop my blisters. Updated !

spencer.b

1st gig on upright today since March and I've got  dirty great  blisters on my 1st and 2nd fingers, got a rehearsal on upright on Thursday, gig on electric Thursday night and a gig on upright on Saturday . 

I've played most days for the last 20 years so I haven't had em since I started , what do you guys reckon?

IMG_20200901_172328115_MP.jpg

Edited by spencer.b
  • Thanks 1

In the past when I have left blisters alone they tended to come back during the gig, with the looser skin dragging on the string making playing difficult.

Since then my tendency has been to pop, although in recent years I've developed a much lighter touch so it's not as much of an issue. 

We were asked to play the opening night at the New Walsall Gallery years ago. It was an improvised funk band called Shatterproof. I played so hard and for so long, I got blisters which then bled everywhere, dripped all down my bass. So I say don't pop them, play hard and let em bleed. The reaction from the punters when you come off stage and grab a drink is worth the pain. I also once played with the same band for 24 hours at a venue at the Edinburgh Fringe. That was a finger shredder too, although the trumpet player played bass too and I play guitar so there was a rest or two. 

22 minutes ago, bassace said:

Get some surgical spirit, leave the blisters alone and soak them three time a day.

Good luck!

The Mrs is a walking medical cabinet and told me the same. It works really well and quickly. It also toughens the skin a bit to prevent from it happening again. 

I used to rip them off. Tidy all the loose skin up and treat them best I could from there. Theyll be a bit sore playing, but ok.

Whenever I've left them in the past theyve been painful to play with, popped during the gig and blooded the fret board and strings. And then as they're raw it's more painful to play with.

49 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

We were asked to play the opening night at the New Walsall Gallery years ago. It was an improvised funk band called Shatterproof. I played so hard and for so long, I got blisters which then bled everywhere, dripped all down my bass. So I say don't pop them, play hard and let em bleed. The reaction from the punters when you come off stage and grab a drink is worth the pain. I also once played with the same band for 24 hours at a venue at the Edinburgh Fringe. That was a finger shredder too, although the trumpet player played bass too and I play guitar so there was a rest or two. 

Slightly off topic, but why the fork do you have a mahoosive photo of a BMX in your signature?

25 minutes ago, la bam said:

I used to rip them off. Tidy all the loose skin up and treat them best I could from there. Theyll be a bit sore playing, but ok.

Whenever I've left them in the past theyve been painful to play with, popped during the gig and blooded the fret board and strings. And then as they're raw it's more painful to play with.

Yup.

2 hours ago, Dankology said:

I'd hope they were filled with lovely clear fluid rather than pus.

They will be.  Its just the body firing out some protection to the wounded area.  Pus is associated with an infection / acne / boils etc

4 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I'm waiting for superglue to put in an appearance on this thread.

Chew them off!

Actually don't. But as HJ suggests, cover them in 2 layers of Super Glue and get on with the gig. At various times in the last 20 years my fingers have looked like that. A couple of coats of super glue and I am ready for the next set.

4 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Put a flame over a needle, small pr1ck on the edge of the blister and slowly squeeze the pus out. Waiting for a blister to naturally heal takes forever...

I've done similar, but rather than just poke the side, I put a short piece of thread on the needle and go all the way through, leaving the thread poking out both sides. This allows the fluid to drain and for it to heal. I also usually put a plaster over it to hold the thread in place but leave it open to the air as much as you can.

It's an old hiker's trick.

Edited by bassist_lewis

12 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

I've done similar, but rather than just poke the side, I put a short piece of thread on the needle and go all the way through, leaving the thread poking out both sides. This allows the fluid to drain and for it to heal. I also usually put a plaster over it to hold the thread in place but leave it open to the air as much as you can.

It's an old hiker's trick.

Do not do this.

• Like 1