Why become a member? ×

Tools Required for Bass Building?

benh

Had a niggling idea for some time now about building my own bass, for the experience of it and to play myself (rather than any grandiose illusions of making something desirable, or possibly playable for that matter!). However, I'm a bit stumped as to where to start with collecting the required tools for building, without wasting money on things that turn out to be useless. I have some bits and bobs and am generally quite handy when it comes to woodworking/manual tasks. Is there a definitive list anywhere to point me in the right direction?

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

The builders who hang out in the 'Build Diaries' thread will probably give you some pointers. You could try a thread in there, or ask the mods to move this one.

Thanks. I wasn't sure whether to post there as this isn't a build diary (although you never know - it could turn into one).

Basschat never ceases to amaze me with how many incredibly talented luthiers we have in our membership. Such a wealth of knowledge and nobody is afraid to share their tips and tricks. The build diaries forum shall be your Mecca, I’m sure.

Oh, and the Repairs & Technical forum.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, benh said:

Had a niggling idea for some time now about building my own bass, for the experience of it and to play myself (rather than any grandiose illusions of making something desirable, or possibly playable for that matter!). However, I'm a bit stumped as to where to start with collecting the required tools for building, without wasting money on things that turn out to be useless. I have some bits and bobs and am generally quite handy when it comes to woodworking/manual tasks. Is there a definitive list anywhere to point me in the right direction?

This is a question that has many different answers, because dependent on your design you will need more or fewer tools.

Personally and for my builds I could not do without:

- Router

- Hand plane

- Bandsaw

- a Shinto rasp

- a selection of files and chisels

- clamps (for glueing)

- orbital sander

- Fretsaw

- sandpaper in different grits

- a hand drill

(think I’ve covered my basic needs now).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HazBeen said:

- Router

- Hand plane

- Bandsaw

- a Shinto rasp

- a selection of files and chisels

- clamps (for glueing)

- orbital sander

- Fretsaw

- sandpaper in different grits

- a hand drill

A good list!  I'd add a drum sander and belt sander for dressing and sizing lumber before it's glued up.  It's a significant expense but saves a whole load of ball ache if planing skills aren't up to snuff.  Also an oscillating sander if you want to make smooth curves on body and neck templates, as well as prepping bodies and necks for finishing.  Also radiussed sanding blocks for fingerboard and fret dressing and a sanding beam for evening narrow surfaces like the edge of fingerboards.  Finally, a bench drill makes drilling control knob holes square to the face of a slab body a lot easier than a hand drill.  But a hand drill is still hard to beat for putting in that channel from the pickups to the control cavity on rear routed instruments.

A cheaper option might be to get friendly with a luthier and reach an arrangement where you can borrow their machinery for maybe a morning or two every weekend in exchange for free labour (especially hand sanding or rough shaping).  There are also companies that will custom make necks complete with frets installed so that could save a load of ball ache, unless you happen to like the challenge of overcoming ballache that is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

A good list!  I'd add a drum sander and belt sander for dressing and sizing lumber before it's glued up.  It's a significant expense but saves a whole load of ball ache if planing skills aren't up to snuff.  Also an oscillating sander if you want to make smooth curves on body and neck templates, as well as prepping bodies and necks for finishing.  Also radiussed sanding blocks for fingerboard and fret dressing and a sanding beam for evening narrow surfaces like the edge of fingerboards.  Finally, a bench drill makes drilling control knob holes square to the face of a slab body a lot easier than a hand drill.  But a hand drill is still hard to beat for putting in that channel from the pickups to the control cavity on rear routed instruments.

A cheaper option might be to get friendly with a luthier and reach an arrangement where you can borrow their machinery for maybe a morning or two every weekend in exchange for free labour (especially hand sanding or rough shaping).  There are also companies that will custom make necks complete with frets installed so that could save a load of ball ache, unless you happen to like the challenge of overcoming ballache that is...

I agree that a belt/Spindle etc sander is very handy, and I own them too. same as drill press. But I could do without, which is why I did not include.

Perhaps the list needs to be “absolute essentials” and “very good to have” 

• Thanks 1

I think the biggest thing I didn't expect when starting out was the level of precision needed.  It's literally fractions of a millimetre when it comes to glue joins or neck joints.  I remember Jon teaching me how to do a neck pocket and tolerances had to be so close that light couldn't get in!  It took me a combination of patience (on good days) and a stubborn refusal to accept anything less than near perfect (on bad days).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. Fortunately most of the hand tools in that list I own, apart from a Shinto rasp - they look awesome. The router and bandsaw may be the two that I'll have to wait a while for - I've learned the hard way in the past that buying cheap is rarely a cheap option, if you know what I mean!

43 minutes ago, benh said:

Thanks, will check it out!

They still sell it - has a handy punch tool

Drilling Oblique Hole Bit Positioner Locator Drill Guide Kit with Bushings for DIY Woodworking Tool 6/8/10mm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075MHP2TF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bBbuFbZB1FZTG

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will really re-iterate clamps as a necessity.

router, you don’t have to spend the earth on the machine, but it’s worth getting the correct bits where the ball bearing is at the top.

I love my Pillar/Bench drill 

Firsch Forstner bit is required also.

Shinto Rasp.

Chisels

I like Japanese pull saws.

ratchet screwdriver and hand held electric one, small screwdriver set

Soldering iron

Honestly you can pick up things second hand of decent quality, depends how much looking around you want to do.

This is not an extensive list but adding to others

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I will really re-iterate clamps as a necessity.

router, you don’t have to spend the earth on the machine, but it’s worth getting the correct bits where the ball bearing is at the top.

I love my Pillar/Bench drill 

Firsch Forstner bit is required also.

Shinto Rasp.

Chisels

I like Japanese pull saws.

ratchet screwdriver and hand held electric one, small screwdriver set

Soldering iron

Honestly you can pick up things second hand of decent quality, depends how much looking around you want to do.

This is not an extensive list but adding to others

Good luck

Cheers - I have a bit of a thing for second hand tools so won't be a problem. The Japanese pull saws are beautiful, fancied one or two of those for a while. Got my eye on a few bits on eBay so you never know!

• Like 1