Why become a member? ×

Body Redocoration Query

dave_says

Hi there,

I hope this is the correct place to post this. I'm trying to redecorate the body of a bass, and have encountered an issue spraying the gloss varnish.

I'm using the https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.northwestguitars.co.uk/amp/clear-gloss-nitrocellulose-guitar-paint-lacquer-aerosol-400ml/ to varnish the body, I've previously used a couple cans of a cheaper gloss varnish from hobbycraft and am getting these streaks appearing when I spray the varnish.

When I spray the varnish initially you can see the actual paintwork underneath, but as the varnish dries these matt looking stains appear. 

Can anybody offer any assistance as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

20200901_125510.jpg

20200901_125519.jpg

28 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Could be temperature and/or humidity related, you don't say anything about conditions - and in a garage!?

Yeah spraying inside my garage, have been keeping the door open whist drying. Should I be keeping the door to the garage closed? The garage is fairly cool inside.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again guys, one problem solved following your guidance, and now onto the next one. I've replaced the existing neck with a new neck, where the fretboard doesn't extend beyond the bottom of the neck, unlike the previous neck. Now I have an issue where I have a gap between the scratchplate and bottom of the fretboard and am struggling to find a scratchplate online that will fit.

Has anyone got any experience with this? 

Before anyone says I definitely don't have the ability to knock up a decent scratchplate myself haha!

Thanks,

Dave.

20200924_130947.jpg