Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton - blimey!!

Steve Browning

Bruce, what an underappreciated icon of British Bass. I'm 34, so The Jam were before my time, but he taught me to play bass, riffing along as a teenager to the Greatest Hits album.

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 5

Many moons ago, Bruce strolled into a pub I was gigging at in Guildford.  He hung around at the back of the room until we took a break and then came over, introduced himself (as if we didn't know who he was!) and then offered to buy a round.  He sat and chatted with us until it was time to go back on, and then stayed to listen to most of the second set.  He particularly enjoyed it when we played "Thick as Thieves" :)

Decent chap.

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 20

A great photo, just taken at the moment and not posed (I'm assuming). Where was it taken and who is the other guy? (Apologies if he's famous and everybody recognises him).

More q's:

Is that an Ibanez and did Bruce ever use one in The Jam?

What's on his t-shirt? I thought it was The Jam at first, which would be a bit narcissistic, but it looks as if there are 4 people on it. The writing on it is unclear. 

20 minutes ago, KevL said:

A great photo, just taken at the moment and not posed (I'm assuming). Where was it taken and who is the other guy? (Apologies if he's famous and everybody recognises him).

More q's:

What's on his t-shirt? I thought it was The Jam at first, which would be a bit narcissistic, but it looks as if there are 4 people on it. The writing on it is unclear. 

That bass appears to be a Jaydee of some kind.

• Like 1

Thanks Gareth and 40hz, the various woods running along the centre look similar to some Ibanaz, hence why I wondered.

Also thanks for showing the original photo that's on his t-shirt - now I know what it is I can just make out 'Down In The Tube Station At Midnight' at the top of the t-shirt. One of the greatest songs written - not just by The Jam but by anyone, it's so well-crafted and tells a complete story.

10 hours ago, KevL said:

More q's:

Unusual to see Bruce wearing a t-shirt of any kind! In my memory at least he is normally wearing more mod-ish attire with a collar.

19 hours ago, 40hz said:

That bass appears to be a Jaydee of some kind.

And not plugged in or on a strap. Maybe it was the other guys.

8 hours ago, police squad said:

I was lucky enough to play in a Jam tribute for a bit. I realised then how much of an influence BF was to me. Most of the fills I would do were very similar to Bruces.  

Same here. Had so much fun learning those bass lines and playing those songs. At that town i wasnt a Jam/Weller fan so most of them were very new to me.

I love the bass line to Ghosts, never noticed it was fretless.