Why become a member? ×

Alternating between multi scale and parallel frets

Chopthebass

I am curious to know if anyone owns a multi-scale bass (fanned fret) and also regular parallel fretted basses. Do you have an issue switching between the two? I have messed around in music shops on multi scale Dingwalls and they are very easy to adjust to. Just wondering if hard adjusting back the other way.

I have no fanned fretted basses in my possession right now. But I have owned a Dingwall ABZ5 for a few years while I was also owning and using 'normal' fretted basses like a host of Spector basses, a Sadowsky and Ibanez SR Prestige basses. I have gigged the latter ones but for some reason never the Dingwall but I have used them all pretty evenly for practice, writing etc. I personally have never had an issue switching between the Dingwall and my other basses. It was never even a thought, using/switching  the fanned frets vs the parallel ones was just as natural as grabbing one form the rack and playing really. 

• Thanks 1

I just built a multiscale 4 string - 900mm to 850mm, with the perpendicular fret at the 7th a la Dingwall. I leave it in the rehearsal room, while all my other basses at home are standard frets, 34 inch scale or shorter. I've had no problems switching between the two - it's really not that much of an adjustment.

• Thanks 1

I have several fanned fret instruments - I’ve had three Dingwalls (still have a Super P), have a RedSub fanned six string bass, and also have several fanned fret guitars (an Avian acoustic, two Ibanez acoustics and an Ormsby electric 7 string).

I don’t find I have any issues switching between them, but some things are easier on fanned and some things easier on parallel. I find it easier than going from lo to short scale to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

I have a 5-string Dingwall (32in-35in scale fan-fret) and two 4-string Precisions (regular 34in scale) and have no problem at all switching between them, even in the middle of a gig.

The only time I have to do anything different on the Dingwall is when going from the D to G string on the same fret from about the 14th fret upwards, where I have to remember to compensate for the slant, otherwise I end up one fret too high on the G string.

I have a fanned fret 6, and 2 normal 5 strings (34" and 35" scales). After playing the multiscale for a while and going back to the normal, it feels a lot easier, but didn't feel hard on the former.

Going from parallel to fanned after a while feels weird, but the adjustment is pretty quick and improves with familiarity.

4 minutes ago, Machines said:

Going from parallel to fanned after a while feels weird, but the adjustment is pretty quick and improves with familiarity.

Thats weird, I get it the other way round. Going from parallel to fanned seems fine, but going from fanned to parallel feels a little odd for a bit until I get used to it.

Does depend on what I am playing though, if I am playing higher up the neck the transition to parallel from fanned seems awkward for a bit.

Again these are only minor things. I think if all my basses were fanned, that would be the ideal.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats weird, I get it the other way round. Going from parallel to fanned seems fine, but going from fanned to parallel feels a little odd for a bit until I get used to it.

It's mostly the scale length over fret angle I think, i'm going from a 34" to 36.25". 

Edited by Machines

56 minutes ago, Machines said:

It's mostly the scale length over fret angle I think, i'm going from a 34" to 36.25". 

I suspect it also depends where the perpendicular fret is. I put mine at 7 as I thought it would make things feel a bit more familiar at the lower frets, compared to having it up at 12 - seems to have worked.

1 hour ago, Rexel Matador said:

I suspect it also depends where the perpendicular fret is. I put mine at 7 as I thought it would make things feel a bit more familiar at the lower frets, compared to having it up at 12 - seems to have worked.

The perpendicular one on the ibanez is around 5