Why become a member? ×

Krautrock

Nail Soup

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

It's definitely the best track on the Faust VI album:

Interesting (to me anyway!) fact about Faust.... they split into two versions of the band. Both called Faust and neither claiming to be the 'real' one.

As I understand it one version does the kind of 'song-based' side of the band and the other does the 'experimental/improvised' side of the band.

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

I saw Faust (possibly FaUSt, I'm not sure of the difference) at Cafe Oto when live music was a thing.

It featured on the one hand an angle grinder on scrap metal in one song, and on the other throughout a lady was knitting onstage continuously through the set. A music of contrasts

I think we can guess which version @toneknob saw!

On 31/08/2020 at 20:38, Beedster said:

As an electronic music student in the 1980's, Amon Duul were pretty up there for me. Wow, seems a long time ago though

Just listened to some Amon Düül and heard a lot of early ELO in there, hadn’t noticed that before 

On 31/08/2020 at 15:53, Barking Spiders said:

As someone of 50% Germanic parentage (Austrian to be precise) I don't care for the term 'krautrock' as in the UK the word 'kraut' is always used in a derogatory context. Also it's a lazy way of lumping a disparate bunch of musicians who only have their nationality in common. Apart from that I generally prefer the 'motorik' sound of Neu to other German bands of the late 60s-70s.

On 31/08/2020 at 19:58, 6feet7 said:

Being 50% Austrian as well I totally agree. 

It's also not only German musicians who appear to be called 'krauts' by those who still hark back to the war (even when they are too young to have even been born then). Anyone with a 'middle European' accent appears to be grouped by this derogatory term (so the Austrians, Swiss and anyone else 'forin'). I do wish certain people in this country could be a bit more 'inclusive' and understanding of others from other backgrounds. 

And I'm another half-Austrian. Are there enough of us to have our own Basschat forum?

I've used the term Krautrock quite often, as to me the term successfully represents an idea, rather than describes any particular sound. Krautrock has more in common with minimalist composers such as Terry Riley, Philip Glass and Karlheinz Stockhausen than with US/UK pop/rock. Here's a recording that embodies this perfectly:

• Like 2

On 01/09/2020 at 22:28, skankdelvar said:

I was at one time quite partial to a bit of La Düsseldorf (the Dinger brothers Klaus and Thomas and some chums).

This one ↓ slowly builds up to a mother of a groove then drifts away again.

Good call. See also Wolfgang Reichmann, without whom early Simple Minds and Ultravox would've been clean out of make-up and synth sound ideas

• Like 2

A great current (UK) exponent of the genre are Beak.

Drums/Vocals is Geoff Barrow from Portishead (But Beak are not a Portishead side project!!!)

Bass/Vocals Will is a member of Robert Plant's band. Plays gigs sitting down. At the front centre.

The other guy doesn't have another claim to fame I think!