Why become a member? ×

EB Cobalt flats G string rattle / buzz ? Advice please

dmccombe7

Finally got round to fitting my new EB Cobalt flats to my VM4. They are 45-100 gauge. My usual is 40-100

I've had a variation of different strings on this bass incl 40-95's, 40-100's, 45-100's nickels and stainless on this bass with La Bella Low Tension flats 40-100 up till the EB Cobalts.

Fitted as per the instructions and ensured the balls were seated as they should be before final tune up.

On tuning up i found the G string had a high frequency or pitch rattle when playing at or around the 11th fret upwards. It doesn't sound like fret buzz which i have experienced with other basses. It sounds more like the internal core rattling about. This happens even with a light touch using finger style plucking. Also happens when i pluck across the string or from slightly below like a pop style. Other 3 strings are fine.

I checked the neck and it looks same as with any other strings i've had on this bass. Almost straight with a very slight curve inwards. (concave)

Attached a short clip to let you all hear it. Excuse the camera angle but it all took me by surprise.

Any advice or help please go for it. 

Edited by dmccombe7

Sorted. Free return to Amazon with full refund. Checked the Amazon reviews while i was on there and it seems a few folks have had that same issue on different strings. One guy had it on E string and when he removed the string the core was broken and came out ?
Not a good sign and has put me off EB stuff completely.

Dave

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorted. Free return to Amazon with full refund. Checked the Amazon reviews while i was on there and it seems a few folks have had that same issue on different strings. One guy had it on E string and when he removed the string the core was broken and came out ?

Dave

That's LOT of stuff to be put off because of one string 😀. I've had Cobalt Flats on one of my 'Rays for years and they've been great.

Absolutely right to send them back though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That's LOT of stuff to be put off because of one string 😀. I've had Cobalt Flats on one of my 'Rays for years and they've been great.

Absolutely right to send them back though.

Indeed, I use Slinky and Cobalt Flats pretty much exclusively, never an issue,

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

My first 4 sets of EB cobalts were pukka, the most recent set that I had fitted free by GG under an EB promotion, just weren’t right (patches of discolouration and not as lively as the previous sets). Given other reports of QC issues with cobalts seems to indicate a production problem, or at least a lack of thorough checking before releasing them into the wild.

First time using EB and at £40+ a set and that's not even RRP  i expect them to be perfect.

Not impressed at all.

I did contact EB UK to let them know and if they get back to me i'll let them know i've returned via Amazon.

Bit cheesed off now that after all the time i spent asking advice and looking at youtube VIDS i get a duff string. Its like back to the drawing board again.

I now need to order something else but probably just go back to my D'adarios that i've been using for years without issue. I go thru about 3-4 sets a year depending on number of gigs and rehearsals.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

First time using EB and at £40+ a set and that's not even RRP  i expect them to be perfect.

Not impressed at all.

I did contact EB UK to let them know and if they get back to me i'll let them know i've returned via Amazon.

Bit cheesed off now that after all the time i spent asking advice and looking at youtube VIDS i get a duff string. Its like back to the drawing board again.

I now need to order something else but probably just go back to my D'adarios that i've been using for years without issue. I go thru about 3-4 sets a year depending on number of gigs and rehearsals.

Gutted to hear that - I wasn’t aware of QC issues. But you do hear about it, even from other companies  

Shame you had that experience, my last sets were great.

How did the other strings sound/feel? Not worth another try then from a different supplier? 

30 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Gutted to hear that - I wasn’t aware of QC issues. But you do hear about it, even from other companies  

Shame you had that experience, my last sets were great.

How did the other strings sound/feel? Not worth another try then from a different supplier? 

The strings felt ok. I could feel the stickiness that others mentioned and tension wise they were better than i expected. Similar to the 45-100 gauge nickels i've tried so that was good. Sound was pretty close to what i was expecting after hearing the youtube clips so that was good too.

There are so many options out there these days that i'm not stuck to any one brand or type. So when i get a duffer i don't need to accept that low level of QC and i'll just change to something else. Why risk another possible failure from that particular company. 

Dave

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

The strings felt ok. I could feel the stickiness that others mentioned and tension wise they were better than i expected. Similar to the 45-100 gauge nickels i've tried so that was good. Sound was pretty close to what i was expecting after hearing the youtube clips so that was good too.

There are so many options out there these days that i'm not stuck to any one brand or type. So when i get a duffer i don't need to accept that low level of QC and i'll just change to something else. Why risk another possible failure from that particular company. 

Dave

Back to the drawing board then! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think i'll just give up and put my D'addarios nickel back on. At least i know they are dependable.

Dave

Same here Dave. I jump about a bit but sitting in front of me is a new set of EXL 160`s to go on the new Sandberg. I have bought quite a few of these sets over the years and so far they have all been spot on.

• Like 1

Sounds like the cobalt steel they use has a very slim +/- tolerance margin between some sets sounding amazing and others being so hard that it's too brittle and corrosive to be fit for purpose.

The normal Ernie Ball Group flats are consistently fabulous though fwiw..

Edited by miles'tone

11 hours ago, ped said:

At least they weren’t rusty! Two sets in a row were covered in rust so they sent me a new set that they personally checked over beforehand. They arrived rusty. 

Rusty. 

No rust and all very shiny.........and stickness. Looks like quite a few people have had issues with EB Cobalts flats. 

Mmmmmm not good but enough for me to stay clear of EB.

Dave

Feel for you Dave! 
Strings are a rabbit hole I’ve disappeared down many a time. Double bass strings are one way of loosing money very quickly!

I generally come back to what I’m familiar with, after chasing others recommendations/reviews, etc.

For years I used Martin SP for my acoustic 6 strings, but after reading people waxing lyrical about Elxirs, I tried them and they were the single worst string I’ve used, both tone and feel were awful and they constantly broke. Tried a few other makes but came back to the Martins, I’ve never had one break on me and they feel just right for me.

If D’addario work for you stick with them mate. 

• Like 1

I have a mix of D'addario nickels i've just fitted back on the Sandberg

Fender nickels on my Fender Jazz and PJ basses. (didn't know at the time they were made by D'addario)

Overwater nickels on both my Custom fretless as recommended by Chris when i had it made and also on my J4.

Elixirs on my Warwick Thumb NT (they've been on a good few yrs now and still sound ok.

I've generally had the D'addarios but tried the Fenders recently because they were cheaper than the D'addarios plus i used to put them on my Jazz all the time. They def feel same as the D'addarios.

Others i've tried are the La Bella Low Tension flats on the Sandberg and they were good but little dull.

Sandberg stainless on Sandberg but didn't last as long as the nickels but they did feel and sound good. Couldn't get from UK supplier tho.

Had DR's and they were ok but again didn't last any longer than D'addarios and sound and feel was similar but more expensive so bit pointless paying the extra.

Over distant years i've tried Rotosound rounds, flats, taperwound. Also Dunlop rounds and probably a few others i've forgotten.

Dave

• Like 1

@Chiliwailer yep those might work.

I got 2 sets of new D'addario rounds 45-100 from our guitarist when he gave up playing bass. I normally use 40-100 but i've fitted them on the Sandberg and they sound good so i think i'll stick with these and just play a bit lighter than i used to and protect my fingers a bit. Gonna be murder when we all start gigging again with blisters and aching fingers. :laugh1:

I'll keep them in mind altho at £46 they are a fair bit more expensive than EXL's and suspect they won't last much longer.

Have to say the cheaper Fender nickel rounds have lasted pretty good on my Jazz and PJ. That's about 9mths now altho i only play those basses at home as VM4 is my main bass in current band. They are made by D'addario as far as i know but few quid cheaper last time i bought them. I have £15 a set in my head. Fender 7250's i think.

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Have to say the cheaper Fender nickel rounds have lasted pretty good on my Jazz and PJ. That's about 9mths now altho i only play those basses at home as VM4 is my main bass in current band. They are made by D'addario as far as i know but few quid cheaper last time i bought them. I have £15 a set in my head. Fender 7250's i think.

Dave

Watch out, my last set had a dead E string 😂😂😂

Sure you’ll be fine though 👍

• Thanks 1