Why become a member? ×

Hello folks

Saul Panzer

Hello all

I've got a shiny new bass and my L plates on. I've spent a while lurking on the forums and various other bass related places, now that I have something to play I can leave the lurking behind.
I'm into reggae and metal so the plan is to start with some old reggae classics and maybe a touch of the Iron Maiden gallops.

I'm learning on a Harley Benton BZ4000 running into Guitarix/Rakkarack software on my PC (can't afford an physical amp for a few weeks.).

Welcome aboard! Three Little Birds is the classic reggae learner piece 🙂

I bought my practice amp from here, a better amp second hand than I would have bought new for the same money.  Check out the market place - but promise yourself you will NOT buy another bass until you can play the one you have!

I think a small practice amp is going to be ample for quite a while, once the money starts coming in I'll have a look. It's depressing to shop around when you can't afford stuff.

I saved for a couple months extra to get the bass I did, I was drooling over it since last year. No current plans to branch out, this one still makes me grin like a moron each time I pick it up and practice.

I'll have to add Three Little Birds to my list, I've been having a go at 'one more reggae for the road' for now. I need to toughen up my hands, I've got no strength it seems.

Don't rush and overdo it. You wouldn't suddenly decide to run 10K if you hadn't done any running for the last 20years, and it would hurt like hell if you did and you would injure yourself. Fingers are the same as legs, just smaller and they have to move faster.

Hard to do these days, but a real bass teacher is the best thing for starting.The online resources are good if you can sort the wheat from the chaff. Check out StudyBass.com (free) for a really solid foundation including technique, theory, avoiding injury and all sorts. A good complement to learning tunes you like. Scotts Bass Lessons has a good video on warm up somewhere as well. His style is marmite,  but I like it and evntually coughed up the £100/year for the paid for stuff.

Just to encourage you: I started 2 and a bit years ago aged 51. I still consider I am a hopeless beginner, and I don't practice anywhere near enough. However I can hack my way through a worship song and not embarrass myself of the band, I can make up basslines that aren't just roots and fifths, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Most students over estimate what they can learn in a week or two, but underestimate where they could be in a year. 

Happy days!

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

Don't rush and overdo it. You wouldn't suddenly decide to run 10K if you hadn't done any running for the last 20years, and it would hurt like hell if you did and you would injure yourself. Fingers are the same as legs, just smaller and they have to move faster.

Hard to do these days, but a real bass teacher is the best thing for starting.The online resources are good if you can sort the wheat from the chaff. Check out StudyBass.com (free) for a really solid foundation including technique, theory, avoiding injury and all sorts. A good complement to learning tunes you like. Scotts Bass Lessons has a good video on warm up somewhere as well. His style is marmite,  but I like it and evntually coughed up the £100/year for the paid for stuff.

Just to encourage you: I started 2 and a bit years ago aged 51. I still consider I am a hopeless beginner, and I don't practice anywhere near enough. However I can hack my way through a worship song and not embarrass myself of the band, I can make up basslines that aren't just roots and fifths, and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Most students over estimate what they can learn in a week or two, but underestimate where they could be in a year. 

Happy days!

Thanks, StudyBass looks good. I'll be checking that out over the weekend.
I'm a little on the fence about SBL he's definitely marmite yeah. I don't mind him but I've only seen his more clickbaity stuff on youtube, I haven't gotten around to doing his free trial yet which I guess is where the knowledge is hidden.

I've just been putting off the technical learning stuff in favor of getting my left and right hands to be remotely usable and consistent.
I'm doing metronome work to get an even sound on my plucking hand with strength and spread exercises so I can use more than 1 finger on the frets without it sounding like a sloppy buzzing mess.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

• 2 weeks later...